Chapter 49 - The Lucky One

COURTNEY's POV

Chad's words were chilling. It was as if it had frozen both my feet and my tongue. I couldn't move or even try to stop him from walking away. I wanted to call him back, to tell him I was sorry, but I just stood there, paralyzed by his words and my own thoughts. So, I watched him go, feeling helpless and angry at the same time.

There were so many things I was dying to tell him. I was tempted to run to the auditorium and stand behind the podium to recite the content of my letter to him. Just to let him know the truth, for him to see why I did all this. For him to know how serious I am.

But I decided against it. What good would that kind of confession do? That only works in movies and books. When things fall apart, a grand confession comes as a plot twist and that fixes everything.

It's as if it was easy.

Oh damn I wish it would be that easy.

But no. This one is a bit more complicated than that.

And this has nothing to do with social suicide or popularity sht that I have long forgotten about. God knows how much I'd like everyone to know about me and Chad, but Troy happened. So everything seems ruined now.

I had to accept it was too late and the damage was done. I had no choice but to live with the consequences of my haste decisions.

But you haven't tried everything yet!

The inner me reminded.

I spotted the letter I wrote for him awhile ago. I still have to give him this, no matter what. This letter is all I have.

But how?

After everything that happened, would he still like to see me? I felt my heart constrict in pain when I saw the exam papers he dropped on the table.

This whole thing started because of this, and how ironically it ended with this.

I reached out and crumpled the papers. I felt the heavy weight in my heart again and it made me slump on the chair nearby.

I finally got what I wanted, right?

The exam papers. Chad finally said those three words.

Courtney Collins gets what she wants.

I really did. I got what I wanted. I had everything in the palm of my hands. Handed everything to me.

I even made Chad fall for me for real.

Nothing was beyond my reach. I had it all.

Some may say I'm born lucky, but what they didn't know, I also had the knack of turning these golds into ashes. I made stupid decisions, leaving me with nothing but regrets. I was an arrogant, entitled brat that thought I knew everything.

I acted on my own.

I wasted my opportunities and paying the price.

* * * * * *

I was tempted to skip classes. I wasn't in the mood to face anyone or pretend that I was happy to be here, because truth be told, I wasn't.

Everything about this school was damn depressing. Everywhere I look, it only reminds me of Chad. I miss him.

Damn it, I miss him.

I also missed the chance of enjoying the remaining of my highschool life with him.

This once kingdom and happy place of mine became a living nightmare. I can feel my heart breaking with every step I take. I wish I could turn back time and undo what has been done.