school lunches

y/n pov

i was about to go sneak out the gate when i heard someone at the side door. turning around i saw mattie standing there. "y/n? go to bed please. you need to rest too" he said walking out and jumping up on the lounge next to me.

"im okay mattie, what are you doing up?" i questioned myself and he leaned his head on my shoulder.

"i needed a drink but i noticed you weren't here and got scared" he said crossing his legs and looking at me.

"im sorry. we can go inside yeah?" he nodded and jumped up holding his hand out to me. i stood up and held his hand as we walked back to our bedroom. he jumped into his bed and i walked over pulling the covers over him. "you gonna be okay? ill be back later"

"please stay" he almost cried and i felt bad for leaving him so i agreed and sat down on my bed. mattie went to sleep and i played some music through my headphones grabbing a pen and drawing on my hand. anything that kept me distracted.

i had drawn all over my hand and slightly down my arm when i heard the birds start up outside. i rested my head against the wall behind me and took a deep breath. looking at the time i see it was 4:37am. i might as well get another 2 hours of sleep.

i turned my music off and laid down further in bed. its weird being able to fall asleep knowing im safe here. i dont think i ever fully relaxed in my house. but i dont get it, even if lizzie isnt a stranger surely i shouldnt be this relaxed here. i looked over and saw mattie sound asleep, he seemed relaxed.

i rubbed a hand over my face and tried to fall asleep.

lizzies pov

i wake up at 7 hearing rain on the windows. i get out of bed going to the bathroom quickly before walking to the kitchen and starting the coffee machine.

i figured the kids would still be sleeping most of the morning as they needed rest. im know i cant take the day off work but i also dont know if i should leave the kids alone for the day. maybe i could see if scar could get the day off work. or i call the school and try to get the day off again. my thoughts were interrupted when a certain teenager walked into the kitchen.

"hey hun, you dont have to be up so early, you dont have to go to school" i informed her and she nodded wrapping her arms around herself. she had bruises all over her arms and neck. some nasty ones on her face too.

"can i still go to school? i mean i rested yesterday, i feel okay plus matties keen to go he says he misses his friends." she shrugged avoiding eye contact.

"sweetheart its okay to take a break" i assured her "but yeah, if you want to go you can go, its not my place to force you to stay home. does he catch a bus usually?"

"yeah it comes at 730, hes already getting ready. but thank you, and im fine really. and you said yourself i need to get my grades up" she smirked and looked at me for only a second.

"that was before i knew what was happening sweetheart. but if you really want to go i leave in probably 40 minutes" she nodded, thanked me again and then went back down the hall.

i finish the rest of my coffee quickly before going to get ready myself. 20 minutes later im back in the kitchen making my lunch up. i see y/n filling up a plastic bottle of water that looks like its been through alot.

mattie runs out with a spiderman bag which is just adorable and he says goodbye to y/n hugging her before also saying goodbye to me with a wave. y/n follows him and through the open front door i could see him run across the street where the bus had pulls up. she waits until the boy is safely on the bus before closing the door.

"do you need any money for lunch or i can make you something?" i asked not really sure on how to help.

"thank you but im okay. i dont usually take anything" she brushed it off.

"have you had anything breakfast y/n, or do you plan on it" she just stared at me blankly but also with fear on her face. "your not in trouble sweetheart, i just want to know" i assured her.

"yeah i had an apple" she said and i sighed. i ran out of apples yesterday. speaking of which i really needed to do a grocery shop. but thats not the point. i nodded and she gave me a small smile before leaving quickly back to her room.

i made her a simple lunch, a sandwich, piece of fruit and a snack, just in case and grabbed the lunch i had prepared yesterday for myself. i knew already that the primary school provided free lunches so i wasnt worring about mattie going hungry.

y/n pov
i went back to the room and got changed quickly into something that covered most of my bruises. i grabbed the foundation i had bought lazily covering the bruises on my face and neck. i don't care if everyone knows what happened i don't need them seeing the extent of it.

i grabbed my black school bag off the floor throwing my art book and one lined book in there along with my water and pencil case. i wait in the room for about ten minutes before going back out to the main part of the house.

"you ready to go?" lizzie questioned as soon as i entered. i nodded and she said she would just be another minute. "oh and here hun" she said once i sat at the kitchen bench.

the woman slid over a plain lunchbox and i assumed she had packed me lunch. "you don't have to eat it all. but just incase you get hungry throughout the day" she said noticing my expression.

i thanked her really appreciative of the small action. i haven't had someone pack my lunch since probably kindergarten.

5 minutes later we were leaving the house and everything felt so calm. i wasn't panicked or uncomfortable. it was nice.

a/n
i'm so fucking tired