fathers awards.

it buzzed again and came apparent to me that he was calling me. i took a deep breath deciding it was definitely better for me to pick it up then to ignore it. 

"look your grandparents are coming over this week so when you get home from your little talent show thing, you have to clean up the whole house. get rid of all the alcohol and shit, i want the place dusted and mopped okay. there is to be no trace of nothing. im busy at work so dont even ask me to help" he told me actually sounding sober for once. "go grocery shopping and get that juice your grandfather likes too"

i was so happy my grandparents were coming. even if the act dad puts on is a total fake its nice for him to act loving for once.  plus my grandparents love me because im their only grand child. 

anyway i follow monica out to the courtyard where we claim this wooden platform seat thing. we notice oliver and the chick that was stationed next to him look around for a seat. they spot us and walk over asking if they could join us. 

monica obviously having the hots for him allows it and they sit down with their subway orders. monica and him get to talking while me and the other girl just sit in silence.  we wernt to bothered by it just relaxing. 

eventually monica went to get the food off her mum who was talking to other parents that were here. when she came back the others were jealous of the delicacy. 

--------------------------------------------

the competition was over and everyone was packed into the hall. the first couple awards we wernt in but as soon as there was monica and i kept winning award after award it felt unreal. not always first place but we still placed.

"and for the next category (idfk) in 3rd place entry 57 monica hayes" she stood up going to get the medal. " 2nd place goes to entry 34 oliver foster" i see him smirk at monica as he went to get his reward. she rolled her eyes at him with a smirk. 

"and drum roll please... in first place we have entry number...... 58 y/n y/l/n" i didnt realize it was me at first until monicas mum shoved my shoulder lightly applauding me. 

i got up going to the stage. a grin on my face i desperately tried to hide as i shook the judges hand and accepted the award as a picture of my art work was presented on the screen. we got sent down only to be called up a minute later. i swear this was rigged or something.  

by the end of it i had won 19 awards, 11 of those being first place. monica had 13 awards, 5 of them being first. "im so proud of you girls" monicas mother hugged us. 

usually hearing those words would make me want to cry but right now i was too happy. sir, and many other teachers and kids from our school came over too us congratulating us on the win. miss goncha told me this was going in the news letter.

"congratulations y/n, i knew you would win. your very talented"  lizzie rubbed my arm with a smile. as the crowd died down and more people left. sir said hes shouting us icecream. convinently there was an icecream place just across the street so we very safely, (monica and i ran across the traffic at a safe time) walked over to the shop. we waited a minute for the adults to come from the crossing and stepped inside. 

lizzie, monicas mum, sir, ms goncha, rose and scarlett who i only just noticed were here, and a couple more teachers from the english and drama faculties. apparently teachers hang out outside of school. 

anyway we all got our icecream and sat down occupying a large booth. i enjoyed the time out and wish i was staying another night at monicas house. everything was just going great. 

time skip 2 hours later

i grabbed the key from under the pot again unlocking the door. to no surprise i see my father drunk on the couch as my step mom drunkely sings to him in a southern accent. i see chips thrown all over the room as well as smashed glass and weirdly no dishes in the kitchen. but that didnt matter as all i can think of is whats happened this weekend. 

i first go to matties room and see him not there. his beds made and his toys have been put away. overall im confused on why his room is clean. walking passed the bathroom checking inside and not finding him there either. 

i was about to ask my father where he was until i figured he wouldnt know or remember. i went to my room and it was the same as i left it. i sat on my bed laying back until i herd a sneeze come from my wardrobe. 

i was scared for a second before investigating. i stood up and walked over opening the door. i see mattie squeezed into the little spot i told him to go if anything ever happened and i got concerned. 

he looked up at me relived and i bent down lifting him out of the spot as it was quite hard to get in and out of. we sat on my bed as i asked him what happened. 

"i got home from friday exited to tell mum about the family portrait i drew in school and she just told me she hopes i have other hobbys cause art isnt my thing. that didnt really bother me but then your dad came home drinking alot of bad apple juice and started saying some really mean stuff. so i came here so he wont keep yelling at me in my room" he said sniffling a little. 

"oh, dont believe what they said im sure the picture was amazing and my dad always says things he doesnt mean" i comfort him the best i can. he just nods letting it go before smiling. 

"how did your competition go" he asked excitedly. i told him i won some things and he rushed to my bag where i had put the awards in a spare shoebox. 

i dont display my awards anymore. 

not after last time.