You Can Escape in a Forest

Dear M

As. 1. I've lost touch with most of my friends from art school, apart from the odd Christmas card. I do have one good friend I keep in touch with, but Robert loathes singing and winces when I bring out my guitar. So the answer to that is "no way"!

2. I would like to live out in the countryside and immerse myself in nature. It would be nice never to have to drive anywhere, at least not day-to-day. I don't have to drive much now, but I'm not keen on being in town. The truth is, I enjoy time to myself, and space. We live in town because that was the house we could afford when we moved here. My wife, Kristina, also prefers being in town, so it is better for her. At the end of our cul-de-sac there is a public footpath, and it takes ten minutes to walk down that to be out in a field and another ten minutes to get to the forest, so it's not too bad if I want to escape.

I guess what I'm saying is that the house I live in isn't as important as the place. I could live in a palace, or a shed, or a caravan, if it was somewhere I could get away from people (not all people, just the annoying ones!) and be surrounded by nature. Nature is a wild garden and used to provide everything we needed before we decided we needed more than we really do. I'm going down the rabbit hole here. You must think me misanthropic, but it's not that I dislike people, only that I want to choose when I'm with them. Being in a town feels claustrophobic.

3. No. Do you?

Question: Are you going to apply to St Hibbert's? Time is running out.