"It's a basement. I thinkI think I'm in some kind of basement."

"In a house?"

"No. It looks bigger. Like industrial. I think there's a furnace. But it's cold. It's freezing down here. I gotta turn the I gotta turn the phone off. It's going to die."

Ryder eyed her younger sister. The girl having little clue on what was going on, but the tension was obvious. Josie was someone that fed off of others' emotions. So seeing the girl nervously bite down on her nails without even understanding to severity of the situation wasn't a new thing.

She pulled the girls hand away from her face, listening back in as Scott tried to convince Stiles not to hang up.

"Wait, wait, wait. What else is there? What do you see?"

"The phone's dying. I can't talk. I have to go." Stiles whispered.

Ryder furrowed her brows, stepping closer to Scott.

"Stiles, why are you whispering?"

"Because I think there's someone in here with me."

The air was silent as the call ended. No one really knowing what to say.

Ramona and Aaron didn't want to intrude and teens were genuinely unaware of what they should do.

It was almost expected that Scott give them directions. He was an alpha after all. But it seemed that he was far too scared of his friend's disappearance to think of anything.

Surprisingly, to some yet unsurprisingly to the rest, Ryder spoke up.

"We need to go to his house." She started, "Hopefully retrace his steps, track his scent, figure out where he went."

"What if that doesn't work?" Isaac asked. It seemed he was the only one fully there and prepared to help.

"Then we call his dad."

"He said he didn't want us to call him. I promised him." Scott muttered.

Ryder huffed, "Then let's get moving so you won't have to break that promise."

•••

"Oh, wow." Ryder paused in her steps as she came to the entrance of Stiles' room. She was shocked to see the room covered with red strung, Lydia and Aiden standing in the middle of it,

"How did you know? Did he call you too?"

"I heard it." Lydia said.

Austin opened his mouth to speak, getting cut off by Aiden,

"Don't ask. It gets more confusing when you ask."

"Okay."

"Not as confusing as this. He uses red for unsolved cases."

"Maybe he thinks he's part of an unsolved case?"

"Or is an unsolved case."

"Hold on." The Martin girl stopped them, "Is he still out there? You don't know where he is?"

"He said he was in an industrial basement somewhere. We came here to get a better scent."

"What else did he say?"

"Something's wrong with his leg. It's bleeding. And he's freezing."

"Tonight's the coldest night of the year. It's going to drop into the 20s." Aiden told them.

"Well, had I known that, I would have went about my speech a completely different way." Ryder rolled her eyes.

"What did his dad say."

"We kind of—We didn't tell him yet."

"Yet." Ryder scoffed.

Lydia looked at him in disbelief, "Stiles is bleeding and freezing and you didn't call his dad?"

"He made me promise not to. We can find him by scent. If he was sleepwalking he couldn't have gotten far, right?"

"You didn't notice his Jeep is gone, did you? You promised you wouldn't call his dad. I didn't." Lydia said.

"Wait, Lydia, hold on. I can get more help. I can call Derek, Allison, everyone except for the cops."

"Great idea."

"Horrible idea." The werewolves beard Ramona mutter from downstairs.

"You guys remember she gets these feelings when someone's about to die, right?"

"We're painfully reminded at least once a week now." Austin mumbled.

"You don't have to call his dad. It's five minutes to the station." Scott told the girl as Ryder ran downstairs to let her parents know that the plans were changed.

Lydia spoke up, "We'll catch up."

"What? Why?"

"There's something here."

"Yeah. Evidence of total insanity."

"We can figure out what's wrong with him after we find a way to keep him from freezing to death. Go. We'll be right behind you."

A/N: we have like six more episodes before this book ends...
also just found out that josie's face claim is ten years older than Ryder 😭🤦🏾‍♀️