painted doors

—

Ryder sat on the floor next to Isaac's leg, leaning back on her hands as she waited for him to wake up.

Since showing up to the old, burnt down, Hale house, she decided it was best is she didn't leave his side.

As she sat there, waiting for the Lahey to wake up, she glanced around the room with a frown. She let herself get lost in her thoughts as she began to remember all of the people that once lived here.

One main person being her best friend Cora, which she now figured was best to be called her dead cousin Cora. If you had told ten year olds Cora Hale and Ryder Miller that they were more than bestfriends, and in fact, cousins, they would go insane.

The two girls had always thought they held a bond stronger than most best friends did, but they only assumed it was because they saw each other literally every single day.

Unknown to them, the reasoning behind Ryder always being at the Hale house was because while Ramona didn't trust the man, she still wanted her daughter to be around her biological father, even if she only saw him as boring old Peter Hale.

Peter Hale.

It still blew her mind how the man took part in her birth. Not only that, but the fact that he was able to pull her mother. Ramona Miller-Anders is a beautiful woman, and in the least awkward way possible, Peter Hale wasn't very attractive in her eyes.

She never really understood genetics. She was fully aware from a young age that Aaron wasn't her real father, but you could have convinced her that some random white man was her dad before Peter Hale, she thought they looked nothing alike.

Her head turned at the sound of a gasp, narrowing her eyes at the way Scott jumped up from his sleep.

"It worked!"

Austin chuckled at his excitement, stepping away so he had room to fully get up.

Stiles eyed the tattoo, hands on his hips as he looked to be scolding his friend, "Well, it looks pretty damn permanent now."

"That's how a tattoo works, genius." Ryder called out, earning a mocking look from the Stilinski.

"Yeah. I kind of needed something permanent. Everything that's happened to us... everything just changes so fast. Everything's so, uh... Ephemeral."

Austin hummed at the word, walking around them so he was next to Ryder, "That means temporary."

"I know what it means." She playfully rolled her eyes, shoving him away, only for him to grab her hand and pull her closer to him.

"Studying for the psats?" Stiles asked, earning a nod and a proud smile,

"Yep."

"Nice."

Scott and Stiles began to walk towards the door, the Stilinski turned to the blonde, "You guys staying?"

The girl looked down at Isaac, sighing softly before turning to Austin. Her boyfriend nodded, "We'll wait."

Scott nodded, pausing in his tracks as he stared at Derek's door, "You painted the door."

Ryder looked up, "What?"

"Why'd you paint the door?"

"Go home, Scott." Derek sighed.

"And why only one side?" The McCall continued to push.

Austin and Ryder shared a look, rolling their eyes in unison at the prying teens behavior. They kept their hands locked together as they walked up to the three.

"Scott."

They watch in shock as Scott flicks his claws out and began scratching at the door.

Ryder shook her head, sighing at his outside dog like behavior.

"The birds at school and the deer last night... just like the night I got trampled by the deer when I got bit by the Alpha." He spoke in realization, "How many are there?"

Derek huffed, "A pack of 'em. An Alpha pack."

Stiles frowned, "All of them?"

"Yeah, How does that even work?" Austin continued.

"I hear there's some kind of a leader." Derek started, looking over at the girl,

"He's called Deucalion."

Stiles looked at Ryder, "You knew?"

"Why wouldn't I have known?" The girl shrugged, raising a brow as she pointed to the teen who was still laying unconscious on the ground, "He isn't really the best at keeping secrets."

"Why didn't you say anything?" Scott stepped forward, pausing as Austin placed a hand to his chest.

In actuality, Austin wouldn't have been able to take Scott since the teen had the advantage of being a werewolf, but that didn't mean he was going to allow the McCall to talk to his girlfriend in any way he wanted.

"Because she doesn't have to tell you everything." He pushed him back as gently as he could, "Back up, man."

"We know they have Boyd and Erica." Derek continued on, "Peter, Isaac, and I have been looking for him for the last four months."

"Yeah, cause leave me out." The Miller girl raised her hands up.

Ryder hadn't truly done anything to really help. Call her a sinner for not wanting to risk her life for a couple of teenage werewolves who had probably already gotten themselves killed. However, she did give them what she considered words of encouragement.

"the longer you take, the more time they have to kill them."

"think about how brutal their deaths would be if you didn't find them fast enough."

"you'd be letting a lot of people down if Erica and Boyd were found dead."

Granted, it wasn't the best words of persuasion, but she figured it was good enough.

"Let's say you find them. How do you deal with an Alpha pack?" Scott asked, she's trained on the symbol on the wooden door.

Derek took a second to respond, looking at the four teenagers in front of him, "With all the help I can get."

Suddenly, a gasp was heard, Ryder's heart speeding up as she realized her friend was okay.

Isaac looked around in panic, "Where is she? Where's the girl?"

"What girl?"

A/N: that's the end of episode one... we're getting closer and a closer to the interesting stuff THANK GOD 🙄