"What if you never see her again?"

"That's not going to happen. I will meet back up with the lass someday soon."

"But when?"

Kagon smiles at the curious child. "When both of our adventures finish."

〰〰〰

"Weapons! Weapons at the ready! Attack!"

The men and Rissa all stand at the ready, weapons raised. At the command they surge forward, slashing at the giant lumbering ogre that stands grinning in their path.

Delia and Maya, however are forced to stand back, neither having little or no fighting experience. The scribe can't help but feel helpless and useless as everyone else takes on the ogre.

Delia glances at the girl beside her. Maya shakes like a leaf, looking both fragile and completely terrified. The coppery-blond headed girl bites her lip for a moment, before wrapping her arm comfortingly around the terrified girl.

Maya looks up at her with watery eyes and a small wavering smile. Delia smiles back at the girl, taking Maya's smile as a thank you.

The moment of happiness doesn't last. The ogre bellows a mighty roar, causing Delia to flinch and for Maya to shudder and then shake even harder.

Delia squeezes Maya, before gently pushing the girl behind her back, just in case the snot colored monster decides to try to attack them.

Before the beast can make a move, Delia is nearly blinded by the sun glinting off a knife as it plunges into the ogre's chest.

With a sound of a dying animal, the ogre stumbles backward and almost comedically flops to the ground in a mass of snotty colored fat skin.

Rissa, the one who had dealt the final blow, kicks the ogre in the stomach. "It's dead." She announces after a moment of silence.

Everyone in the group cheers and even Maya grins at the victory. The group's first victory.

One that won't be our last. Delia thinks with a broad grin.

"We've traveled much these past three days." Iglesias announces, standing beside Rissa. The woman had become almost a co-leader this past week. So, let us make camp early tonight. We all need the rest."

Another loud cheer from their crowd and then they all scatter to find a good place to make camp. One that's far enough away from the ogre's carcass, of course.

"Oi! Over here!" Xelin, one of the younger men in the group, shouts.

Everyone makes their way over to where they hear Xelin's call and then begin making camp in the enclosure of trees. It protects from the weather and is relatively flat, all in all a fine place to make camp.

With everyone's assistance all the tents are set up swiftly and a fire is prepared and then set to light. Some of the people split off to gather firewood while some others go off to hunt and gather food for dinner. The rest stay at camp and finish the last preparations.

Delia is of the group going to look for firewood. Maya tentatively follows after the writer, opting to go with her instead of going with Rissa to hunt and gather.

Delia smiles happily down at the girl, happy to have made a new friend.

The two walk together in a comfortable quiet as they pick up fallen branches.

"I am Delia by the way." Delia says.

Maya smiles shyly. "It's nice to meet you, Delia. I'm Maya."

Delia returns her smile and the two go back to gathering wood. After both their arms are full of wood they head back to the camp and set it in a pile where the rest of the timber sits.

"Delia."

The writer spins around on her heel to face the speaker. "What is it, Iglesias, is there anything you need?"

"Actually, yes, if you don't mind."

"Sure, what is it?"

"Is it alright if you cook again tonight?"

Delia grins, glad to feel not as useless. "Alright." Then the grey eyed girl turns to Maya. "Would you like to help me?"

Maya smiles happily. "Yes!"

"Thank you both." Iglesias says gratefully, before going off to assist the hunters in bringing in their kill and the food they gathered.

Once the food is brought up to them both girls skin the meat and cut the vegetables that were found, and make a hearty meal of deer meat and heated roots.

Everyone received their food and dig into the meal. The hard work and all the walking of the day has left them all with growling stomachs.

Now with their bellies filled everyone drifts off to either rest or chat by the fire.

Delia stays up talking idly with the group by the fire, but too quickly her eyelids droop and a yawn escapes from her lips. Excusing herself Delia goes to her bed to get a good night's sleep for the oncoming continuation of their journey tomorrow.

Like most of Delia's sleeps lately, it doesn't last.

She and everyone sleeping soundly are awoken only hours later by the sound of roaring. Ogres roaring for their revenge.