56. King and King

The boys of Squad Q were gathered around a cozy fire behind the pack house, where they had a good laugh about what happened in Italy.

"What happens in Italy, stays in Italy." Viridian pledged.

"And in our minds--engraved forever." Kingsley teased.

Malek laughed. "Matteo sounds like a cute name."

Linga shook his head. "You're lucky your mate isn't here to hear that."

Malek made a gesture of zipping his lips and throwing the key away.

"We received a hologram from the council saying that they've officially granted you permission to claim that no man's land." Rama informed, sipping a tin beer.

Viridian leaned forward, sounding interested. "That's good. Forward it to me, I want to take a look."

"Weeeee, look, butterflies are just small birds." Lyris slurred.

"Yo,  that makes sense." Tolen agreed.

"You've had enough." Viridian proceeded to take the glass of alcohol from his mate who wouldn't budge.

"No, l-look, there's sooo much." Lyris swayed standing up.

Viridian chuckled and stood up along with his mate. "You're sleeping it off, come."

Viridian caught a hold of his mate around the waist and bid farewell to his friends and took his mate to their cabin.

"I just can't figure out how you manage to get tipsy so easily," Viridian grumbled. "And don't eat that, that's not food."

Lyris was trying to grab onto the transmitter, and his mate was stopping him.

"Hey, Virus, look here." Viridian turned his mate's attention to his face and slowly managed to remove the bracelet around Lyris' wrist. It could repel compulsion.

"Go to sleep." Viridian compelled his mate, who fell limp into his arms.

Viridian let out a small sigh after he changed his mate to comfortable clothes and placed him on the bed, covering him with a duvet.

Viridian was moving around the cabin, looking for a blood bag, and he smiled with satisfaction when he found one.

He moved to the living room closed the door to the bedroom so his mate could sleep without any interruption, and then played the hologram from the council.

"An internet mail has been sent, which requires the signature of Viridian Yari and Lyris Hatchet. That secures their land along with their title. Please check the attached mail and contact the council for any queries." A bot member of the council voiced the message.

Viridian raised his brows and sat down on the couch, quietly sucking on his blood bag.

He knew his mate was awake when he heard the slight ruffle of the bedsheets in their bedroom. Lyris walked towards his mate, just as Viridian expected.

"Hi," Lyris mumbled quietly and joined his mate on the couch, slouching against him.

Lyris wordlessly played the hologram which he distantly heard and smiled softly after the message ended.

"We did it." He whispered, looking up at his mate.

"Yes we did," Viridian smiled, kissing Lyris' forehead, gathering him in his arms.

Lyris sighed against his mate and snuggled closer.

"I didn't really think it would come to this, you know. I just thought that we were going to continue living the same life, here in the cabin. I would've been content with however it turned out, as long as it was with you." Lyris spoke softly, resting sideways against his mate.