36. Present is a mystery

Lyris kept an eye on Viridian. Not because he was wary, but because he was worried. He had a sudden urge to ask Viridian if he was okay and go hug him, but he kept himself at a distance from his mate.

Viridian looked around curiously. He suddenly felt lighter, knowing that he was somehow close to finding out his family. He turned around to look at Lyris with a small smile, melting the werewolf's heart. He wasted no time in stepping into the cabin that opened automatically, with Lyris soon following him. A familiar scent invaded their noses as they stood frozen near the doorway.

The cabin was covered in cobwebs and dust and Lyris immediately started sneezing and his eyes had started to water. Viridian on the other hand looked fine.

The half vampire wordlessly handed his handkerchief to his mate who accepted it gratefully.

They noticed two cribs at the center of the cabin--one in gold and shimmering silver and the other in gold and shimmering black.

Their bond reappeared around them, swirling pure gold as it sizzled, lighting up the entire cabin.

The bond seemed to be pushing them towards the crib and they didn't not budge, letting the bond pull them.

Viridian looked at his mate and took his hand and Lyris let him. In fact, he was grateful for the contact.

"There's a letter." Viridian noticed a letter peeking out from underneath one of the cribs' pillow.

Lyris squeezed his mate's hand and gave him an encouraging smile.

Just as Viridian was about to read it, the sound of a gun went off outside the cabin. Lyris wasted no time in shifting, and his transmitter was automatically switched on. Viridian remained in his human form, but he had his claws out and his fangs descended, eyes turning crimson. He tucked the letter safely in his pocket before stepping outside.

Lyris was quick to report his situation to his pack.

There were around ten cars lined up one behind the other and arms and ammunition were targeted at them in a full circle. They were surrounded, there was nowhere to run. People from within the car were aiming guns and rifles at them.

Hunters, Lyris thought, shooting a quick look to his mate.

Viridian did the smarter thing by raising his hands up, surrendering.

Ten seconds later all the warrior members of Hayari along with Ralon's vampires, were surrounding the men in cars. Hundreds of werewolves, vampires and witches were at the scene in a jiffy.

"Kill them all." Were Ralon's words.

All the vampires followed suit.

"Capture one alive." Lyris' voice echoed through the transmitter.

Soon, the place around the cabin became a battlefield, where the supernaturals had the upper hand.

Lyris shifted back and observed the scene along with his mate, who had an unreadable look in his eyes. The werewolf tugged the sleeve of Viridian's shirt, catching his mate's attention. Viridian looked at Lyris with a slight frown, making the latter uneasy.

"What's wrong?" Lyris asked.

Viridian's reply was barely a whisper, but it echoed inside Lyris.

"Everything."

--

Malek pinched the bridge of his nose as he stood inside Lyris' office, along with the boys of Squad Q and Ralon and his vampires.

Viridian and Lyris were in a weird state, so they avoided looking at each other. It had been a day since the incident and they were gathered in Lyris' office to discuss what their answer is going to be in front of the council.