N I N E

HALEEMAH

"The moment you doubt if you can fly, you cease forever to be able to do it."
-J. M. Barrie

I THINK confidence is the best armor that human beings have been provided with. And knowing how to wear it the best way is the highest challenge we face as individuals.

Maybe it's due to the line of work I am in, but I tend to be aware of peoples level of confidence. But I am also super aware of my own level of confidence at all times.

I was dreading reading the context of the letter Mujahid had brought to me, because if it was a call then it's a call I must answer, and I'm very unprepared to.

And coming from Hajja, it looks most definitely possible.

But when I opened it, and I realized it was empty, I fixed Mujahid with a daring stare even though relief washed me like the generous sun outside. If he brought it, he should be explain why it's a plain paper.

I don't want to pardon unnecessary interactions even though I was practically helpless when it comes to Mujahid. He comes off different.

I saw the conflict of thoughts on his face and then he reached out for the paper tentatively.

"When do you plan to leave?" He asked reaching for my pen and I let him have it. He's all over the place not just the seat he was sitting in.

I guffawed at his actions but played along, partly because he did not look like he was joking. "In four days." I did a double check when he wrote it down.

"And when are you planning to return?"

"Three months at most." He grew silent, but wrote nevertheless.

"How early do you think you can come back?" He asked again.

"Two months." I compelled, unsure of why we were having the discussion.

About a minute passed before he asked again "Why can't you just stay in Yola?"

I sighed. Husnah and Alhussain had asked the same two days ago but I knew deep down that even if I hadn't gotten an offer in BBC, I would still leave because it felt right to do so.

"Because I've been relieved of my duties. And I'll appreciate a new working environment." He scribed again and I wanted to ask what he was writing. He couldn't have been sent to write an interview on me right?

"You should make sure to take care of yourself and be safe at all times." He advised.

It's not that people haven't told me to be safe before, but the words just hits differently coming from him.

And when I looked up suddenly, the office felt too small and I needed to be far away. Far from whatever Mujahid is brewing.

*

"Halimah!" The director acknowledged my presence as I stepped into his office and I curtsied once again.

"You still insist on not retracting your resignation letter." I kept my smile in check because I may be actually happy leaving but Director Usman has been wonderful to me since I joined ATV years ago.

I might've been wronged and hurt by my coworkers and senior colleagues but ATV Yola made me what I was today so I'm still grateful.

"It's not like that Director, I think Allah has written that the time I'll spend here has come to an end." I stated.

Two of my colleagues seated with him in his offices looked at each and made a face, I knew well enough what they meant.

It wouldn't be the first neither would it be the last time I experience such. But I still know that I owe no one my self worth and that has truly been my bully proof.

So I added "Besides, I should leave so that some people will not end up developing hypertension because of me."

Director Usman smiled my way, looked at the two men sitting a bit too comfortable for an appointment I'm sure they do not have and gestured that I pick up the approval of my transfer that had arrived from the National Union of Journalists.

"A lot of people do not know that people who are great are just great." He offered with a smile.

"Clearly." I answered picking up the papers I needed and walking out directly with my head held high.

And as I drove out of ATV ten minutes later, I felt a chapter of my life neatly tucked and kept away.

The two years that changed who Haleemah Aliyy was before, does not really feel too agonizing anymore.

Because thanks to the days I fell down in bruises and shame, I was able to pick myself up with pride and dignity.

___________

It's been a while I was able to write so I'm tasking myself with 30 days writing challenge. Hopefully we can complete the book within that period 🤔

Anyways, how have you all been

Use this botton to write a short message to the person who hurt you the most in your life.

I hope we can pick up ourselves and keep moving each time we hit rock bottom

Have a great time
InkLove ✍🏻
Mi'ah