S I X

HALEEMAH

I NEVER really understood people when they say things along the lines of 'life happened'.

But I seem to be saying that a lot these days.

"What happened between you and Sarah?" Husnah had asked.

"Life happened." I had answered.

"Does it have anything to do with Nadeer?" She probed. I was sure it took every courage in her to ask that so I stared reluctantly for a few seconds thinking hard on the best way to answer before I finally settle on a 'No'.

Husnah likes to tread carefully, Sarah does not have to. And now I hoped Sarah did tread carefully with me. I wouldn't worry about how my pain means nothing to her now.

They both are my friends, the longest and realest friends I ever had. But the way I bond with either of them is not the same.

Husnah sipped her drink one more time before turning back to me to repeat the same thing she's probably said to me a thousand times before. I know because I know the expression she wears every time.

"Haleemah, whatever went wrong, Allah knew why. And He will right it in a way you never expect. Just trust Him and everything will be fine."

"I know, Husnah. I know. Thank you." I really cannot thank Husnah enough for what she's endured for me especially when I had my emotional lapse that almost cost me my career.

She's a friend I never asked for, and she's a friend I never want to lose. Sarah was too, and still is.

But like I said, life happened.

"Nadeer happened." I said solemnly.

And she looked at me dumbstruck. This might've been the first time I say that name to anyone in the last two years. And saying it tastes too salty for my liking. It's stirring something salty from my eyes.

"Haleemah!" She called, eyes begging for more words. But I've said enough. "I understand that you don't want to talk about it. But you need to face it. Look how he walked in here as if nothing happened. You need to move on."

But there was nothing to move on from. It was wishful thinking on my part and he made sure I understood it very well.

"You need to get back yourself. You need to go easy on yourself. He's not worth hurting this much over. We want Haleemah back."

"What are you saying, Husnah?" I asked. "I'm Haleemah, what changed?"

"Haleemah!" She called concerned.

But I can't quite point what it is she was concerned about.

*

The rest of the day flew by and soon I was packing my things to head home. I was almost leaving when I remembered the message Hajja was supposed to have sent.

"He acted quick." I mused.

I knew there was no message, Hajja would not send anything without calling. Besides there was nothing to send, I haven't done anything for WMCY in years. I was in an abyss of my own.

But it was just the best excuse I needed to not worry about dealing with Nadeer. I would've dealt with him just fine but it was good I didn't have to bother.

But the man was so persistent that he asked for thirty minutes so we could go get whatever from where he was supposed to have left it. Which turned out to be chocolate goodies, the exact ones I can't resist.

I held the bag for a minute contemplating leaving it behind and taking it with me which means I accepted his gesture and none seem good to me. I do not plan to accept any man's gesture of whatever. I don't care.

But he wouldn't have any idea that I threw it away even if I did. So in the end I took it. Husnah nudged me out of my office thinking I was contemplating working overtime, that word doesn't exist in her dictionary.

Well, I was. Only that I don't need to be in the office. BBC just contacted me for a file I needed to review by the end of the day.

Someone thought I was fit to represent a seminar and I planned to deliver perfectly.

"Haleemah! for goodness sake, it is called dinner for a reason. Keep your MacBook and eat." Addah Salma cautioned exasperatedly as she's said the same thing twice before.

It was 7pm and I sat amongst everyone in Hajiya Babba's presence dining with Hajja's daughters and daughter-in-laws. The men sat few rooms away in Baba's old antique parlor. He never lets anyone change anything in there except it's non-repairable and unmanageable.

"Just 10 more minutes. This can't wait." I replied. "And I'm eating Addah, I'm almost done eating." I completed taking one more bite from my plate beside me.

Mrs Mikail chuckled a little too much and when I raised my head to decipher why, her smile became more adorable. When I realized why, my smile grew wider.

Mimi Hamza was nestled on my neck while Mimi Ali played on my laps. Amnah Mikail and the older kids were all playing somewhere close to me and you could tell at a glance that I was their favorite Aunt, and they my favorite nieces and nephews.

And even though I was working, I stop once in a while to stop fights and answer some demands.

"Sannu Ya penndo." I smiled but before I answered, Hajja peeped in to demand my attention.

Soon I found myself walking outside to let someone by the name Mujahid into the compound. By Hajja's directive!

—————————
Ya penndo: maternal aunt.

P.s : I don't own the pic up there. Or any of the pics I upload for that matter. Credit goes to pinterest.

Here's a late Friday update,

And actually I'll love to upload the next chapter before next Friday. Comment and vote to boost my morale guys. I need some motivation to write.

Those that read PRIOR, I hope you remember that we have Mudathir and Jameelah?

And if you don't then it'll come up soon. And I'm so excited for Jameelah.

We are moving, aren't we?

Pls motivate me to write more before school holds me on a chokehold.

Have you read your Kahf today? A Friday sunnah?

Then,
InkLove ✍️
Miah 💕