the heartbreak weather

Start from the beginning

He was not his father.

"It is better that he stays impartial than to support the king.", Elia interfered. "It is what we need. They do not need to be our allies but they also should not be against us."

"He'll stay impartial.", Richard declared. "But you don't understand. He is gathering support, loyalty and love from the smallfolk and from the lords of the other regions and with that, he grows more and more important every day, his influence almost outgrew him and yet he does not use the power in his hands. Why, one might ask."

It was obvious Jon mentiones about his theory to his former lover. "Your worries are heard and noted.", Rhaegar said with a monotone tone. "But it is not the topic of this council. Let us discuss on it in a later time -if you would have a proof by then, would be better.", Richard clearly bit his tongue and nodded.

"Baelish is a new house. Grandfather was a hedge knight, father is a landed knight turned out to be the minorest of the lords, we'll see what the son will make of it but they will not dare to go against Arryn."

Oswell agreed with him. "Not to mention the said boy -Petyr, is fostering with Hoster."

"Why the son of a minor lord from the Vale fosters with the Lord Paramount of the Riverlands?", Ashara couldn't make sense.

"His father saved Hoster's life or something during the way, so he owed him life and the demand was that. Catelyn is really fond of the boy, Lysa even more."

"You met him?", Rhaegar wondered. "Why would you make of him?"

"Smart lad for his age. Might become something in the future.", he shrugged. "Not a warrior for sure, but Elia can always make him a fosterling after we finish this."

"Fosterling?", Ashara turned to Elia this time and her friend shared a look with her husband -argued with their eyes.

"Children of some important but dangerous lords, children that promise a future -Rhaegar thinks I can make them my fosterlings and raise them as loyal to us."

"Essentially take them as hostages?"

"No.", Rhaegar shook his head to Ashara. "Not hostages. It will not be a way to punish the children for the crimes of their parents, it will be an honour as it was for centuries before."

Elia's displeasure was too obvius. "Long story short,", Oswell sent her a look. "Baelish will side with Arryn and remain impartial -not that his vote would mean a thing to begin with."

"At the core; all Lords of the Vale are loyal to Arryn on paper. You do understand that you have to earn Royce, right your grace? Or else this council would be for naught.", Richard pressured and Rhaegar nodded. "Well then it would be better to categorize the lords as Arryn loyalists and more radical ones like the Royces. Belmore comes to one's mind.", Oswell made an agreeing lord. "After the Arryns and the Royces, they are the most important house in the Vale. They are closer to the latter than the former and if you manage to sawy the Royces, they will support you as well."

"Coldwater are also their sworn house, no?", Rhaegar leaned forward on the map. "Shetts and Tolletts are also. I'll count all three as well.", he noted and wrote it down after both Richard and Oswell nodded. "Wait,", he realized it while writing. "Shetts are a knightlu house, they will not have the right to vote.", he crossed their name. "Coldwater and Tollett it is then."

"Lyn Corbray, heir of the current Lord of Heart's Home has squired for my uncle.", Elia wanted to make at least one contrubiton. My uncle says that he is getting corrupted at the Vale but if we take him to our court, he'll side with us.", Rhaegar nodded to her. "I'll send word to my uncle then. And he'll handle the matters."