And We Will Manage Somehow

Start from the beginning

"Let her in, Danny, she's probably freezing to death." Eric calls from the kitchen.

"Come on, Sunshine." I usher her in, shutting the door behind us. She doesn't look at anyone, keeping her eyes on the ground.

As we walk into the kitchen I notice that Levi has gone from freaking out to absolutely pissed. Levi being mad is scary. He could probably snap me in half if he wanted to. I don't think I have ever seen him mad at Harley. I just want to step in and protect her from his scary face, but Levi is more so the boss than me. It's not my place to step in. Instead I take a seat on the counter next to where Eric is leaning. Silence. No one is saying anything. The only noise is the patter of rain on the roof.

"I-I-I'm so sorry! I didn't mean for this to happen, I went on a walk and lost track of time then it started storming and I'm so sorry. It won't happen again!" Harley speaks up. Her voice wavers. Poor kid is terrified.

Levi sighs, "Go get warm and change into dry clothes. We'll talk more later."

"I'm sorry...I really am!" Harley apologizes again. She can't stand people being upset with her. One fault of the Sinclair's is that we are chronic people pleasers. Well, Harley and I are. Levi doesn't give a rat's ass about anyone's opinion of him.

"Go get dry!" Levi snaps and shouts at her.

Eric and I both freeze as do Levi and Harley. He has never raised his voice at her before.

"Harley wait..." Levi starts. Harley doesn't listen, instead she bolts upstairs looking close to tears. Levi curses under his breath and wipes a hand over his face.

"Why would you yell at her?!" I hop off the counter and stand in front of my brother.

"I-I didn't mean to. It just came out..." He stutters, very unlike his usual confident vibrato.

"You know she's sensitive! She hates when people are upset with her," I scold him.

"I know, Dan!" Levi argues. "I just...I was just really on edge over everything."

"So was I! You don't see me yelling at her!"

"I'll talk to her. I'll make it better." Levi takes a deep breath shakily. That's when I notice he has been bouncing his leg ferociously and chewing on his thumb nail. His nervous ticks. Now I feel bad for yelling at him. "It's just sometimes when I see her, I think of that comatose little girl in the hospital. I remember how it felt not knowing if she was going to make it or not."

"I do too," I look down thinking back to after the accident. It was a difficult time for us. That was when I realized we didn't have a good mom, I hate hospitals, and people can be taken from you in the blink of an eye.

"That's why I worry so much. I don't want us to have to go through that again." He explains. I look at my brother. I can still see that scared little boy in him. He took on too much responsibility way too young. He gave up his childhood for us. I place my hand on his shoulder and he looks up at me.

"It's okay now. You can relax," I assure him. "I'm sorry for yelling at you."

He smiles a little and puts me in a headlock. "Yeah, you better be." He jokes.

From upstairs we hear Harley's door shut. Levi frees me and looks towards the steps uncertainly.

"I don't know what I'm going to say," He admits.

"Just be honest," I advise him.

He nods and takes a deep breath. "Wish me luck," He says as he heads upstairs.

"Good luck!" I hear Eric say from behind me. When I turn around I find him on the floor drying the puddles that Harley left. I can't help but smile at him. He's always been a neat freak.