Ch. 15

"This must be a breath of fresh air for you," Ayana joked, failing to hide the fact she was already freezing

"If I had to pick a way to die, freezing wouldn't be the worst." Leonard agreed, wrapping his arm around her. Sharing his warmth.

Ayana smiled, shifting closer to him, his arm warm and comforting around her.

She couldn't help thinking about the last time they'd seen eachother.

"Nothing quite like dying to make you think about all the mistakes, all the wrong choices." Leonard told her softly, lying his head ob the top of hers.

"Do you need a confessional, Leo?" A small, nervous laugh escaped her lips.

"Hardly," He chuckled, "I've always hated that nickname." He confessed, changing the subject.

"That's not going to stop me," She challenged.

He shook his head, "Until you said it."

"What?"

"I always hated that nickname until you said it." He repeated.

She stared at him, unable to find a response.

"I wish I could take a few things back," He admitted, bringing his free hand up to rub his forehead.

"Like what?" She asked, squeezing his hand gently.

""A lot of things," His smile faded, "But one thing stands out above the rest."

"What's that?"

"You." He breathed.

She inhaled sharply, pulling away slightly. Looking up at him with a questioning stare.

"Do you remember the day we met?" He asked quietly.

"Of course I do," She replied, not meeting his gaze.

"I could've easily murdered you," His eyes searched hers. "Without hesitation."

"Why didn't you?" She pressed, feeling the connection between them intensify.

"Your eyes," He chuckled, "those damn eyes fucked me over."

She blinked a few times, surprised by the statement.

"It wasn't that you knew me, or even cared for me. It was the fact that I couldn't get you out of my head. I've spent countless nights wondering what if."

Her mouth fell open, speechless. She looked up into his eyes. Suddenly feeling the weight of what he said settle heavily upon her shoulders.

"No one smiles like that at an assassin," She mutters looking down.

He reached forward, gently cupping her cheek. She flinched slightly at his touch. He didn't say anything, instead leaning in and capturing her lips with his own.

Slowly, lovingly, his arms wrapped around her waist. She returned the kiss tentatively at first, before reciprocating, passionately. All thoughts of regret washed away in the torrent of passion she felt surging through her veins. They kissed deeply, drawing comfort from each other, filling a void that had been empty for too long.

Leonard broke away from the kiss after a few minutes, leaning back, gasping for breath. He could feel her shivering, cold still radiating from the freezing room.

He brushed her hair back from her face, staring down into those beautiful eyes he once swore he'd never look upon again.

She seemed lost in thought, obviously unaware of his actions. He ran his thumb along her jaw line, his mind filled with every memory, every mistake.

Each fight. Every victory. And most importantly, the girl sitting across from him. Who was almost lost to him. Before returning his attention to her once more. His hand sliding slowly down her cheek.

"If we're going to die, you need to know something." He spoke softly, barely audible over the sound of their racing hearts.

Her eyes widened slightly, breaking the trance she was in. She glanced up at him, the anxiety apparent in her eyes. He swallowed hard, knowing that he had to say this. Now. Before he lost his nerve.

"I-" He cleared his throat, taking a deep breath. "I love you."

She looked at him in disbelief, shock evident on her features. As she finally processed what he'd just said.

She shook her head. "You don't know what you're saying," She argued, "hypothermia has messed with your brain."

"Don't," He said firmly. "I've lived my whole life wondering what it would be like to say that to someone, let alone actually mean it. It scares the shit out of me."

"Then why did you?" She countered, not wanting to hear the answer. "If it scares you so much, why would you say it?"

"Because," He hesitated.

He was cut off by the bullhead door opening, and a relieved Sara running inside.

"Am I interrupting something?" She asked, looking at the two's close proximity.

Ayana pulled away, "No," she smiled at her friend, "Please don't tell me I have to thank Ray for this?"

"He did almost die to save you two." Sara pointed out.

Ayana groaned, crossing her arms, "Really?"

Sara nodded.

"Fine," Ayana sighed, smiling weakly. "Let's get this over with."
Leonard stayed seated, leaning against the wall, watching as Ayana and Sara left. Sighing, he put his head in his hands.