Ch. 9

"Ayana?" She whipped around, finding herself face to face with her younger brother

"Barry," Her voice was soft, almost a whisper.

"What- You-" He looked at the three fallen bodies lying lifelessly on the ground.

Ayana walked closer to her brother, staring down at the gruesome sight. "They attacked me," She stated,

"I watched you mutilate one of them!" Barry cried.

"I did what needed to be done,"

"But- No!" His hands clenched tightly at his sides. "You can't just go around killing people!"

Ayana's hands balled into fists.

"I do bad things Barry, and I do them very well." She hissed.

Barry stared at his sister, disbelief written across his face, "This isn't you,"

She looked away, avoiding his gaze. "This is me."

There was silence for several minutes. The tension filled the alley, causing both of them to fidget uncomfortably.

Barry continued to stare at her, he went to speak again, but was cut off.

"Take off the mask when you speak to me," Her blue eyes met her brother's hazel, "You may be the Flash, but you're still my little brother."

Barry tugged the mask off his face, "You changed,"

She smiled sadly, "I didn't change, you never knew me."

Barry frowned, "It's not supposed to happen this way." He looked back to his sister, "you can't keep doing this,"

"It's who I am, It's what I do,"

"No," He shook his head. "It's not right,"

"Did you tell Oliver Queen that too?"

His expression darkened. "Don't use him to justify yourself,"

"Like he's any better? He's a vigilante."

"Just because someone is a vigilante doesn't mean they're going to go around killing innocent people!"

"And who are you to decide if they are or aren't innocent?" She stared at him, her eyes filled with anger.

"You sound like Snart," Barry scoffed, taking a few steps away from her.

"Is that how you see me?" She challenged, staring him down.

"Like I said, You're not the same person anymore."

"How many lives have you taken Ayana?" He challenged.

She was quiet, allowing the question to sink in.

After a few moments, she spoke softly, "More than you know."

Barry rubbed the bridge of his nose, "What happened to you Aya?" He questioned, looking back to her.

Ayana couldn't look at him, avoiding eye contact with him.

"Whatever happened to you, we can fix it,"

"You can't fix me!" She snapped, her fist clenching at her side.

"We can at least try!" Her brother argued, reaching out for her.

She stepped away, throwing her arms in the air, "I don't need a hero, Barry!"

As the moonlight lit up the dark alleyway, Barry looked at his sister's cloaked form.

In the nights hue, Ayana's face resembled a shadow. She turned her head slightly to look at her brother. In the faint light, she noticed his silhouette standing in front of her.

"You can't save someone who doesn't want saved." She told him, her tone desperate for him to understand.

She moved to walk away, keeping her back to him. He grasped her arm.

"At least tell me why he was here," He demanded quietly.

"What?" She spun around.

"Snart, why was he here?" He demanded, refusing to let her walk away.

"He was keeping his word to you," Barry's face held confusion. "You kept Lisa safe. He was keeping me safe."

She pushed past her brother, leaving him standing in the alleyway.

The feeling of dread crept back into his gut.

Whatever happened, whatever shaped her into this person, it didn't seem to affect his ability to love her.

It took everything in her not to turn around, pull him into her arms, and beg him to understand. But she couldn't do that, she wouldn't. Not now, not ever.

Instead, she kept walking, knowing full well that nothing would change between them.

Ayana and Barry Allen couldn't be more different, but their loyalty to one another was unwavering. Even when they were angry with each other, they would always find a way to patch things up. However, despite their differences, Barry and Ayana shared a special bond. Something unexplainable and unbreakable.

The Allen siblings hadn't always been close, but somehow, someway, they always found their way back to each other. Their mutual desire to protect one another brought them together; sometimes, they were their own worst enemies. They weren't afraid to argue with one another, or stand up to one another, even when they were wrong. In the end, they understood each other better than anyone else could, and even though they disagreed on certain issues, the Allen siblings always found a way to get through it.

No matter how difficult things got, the two Allen's would always find a way to pull themselves back together.

Even now, as Ayana walked away from her brother, they remained in each others' minds.

For once, Ayana didn't care what her brother thought.

With that, she kept walking.