Ch. 11

Ayana nodded her head and smiled as Iris talked, having no idea what she was talking about

Ayana nodded her head and smiled as Iris talked, having no idea what she was talking about. But she tried her best to act like she did, pretending to listen intently as Iris rambled on and on about an article she was writing.

It had been nearly three months since her return to Central City, but Iris refused to leave her alone. Even now, she continued to harass her, asking her if she wanted to hangout with some friends. Ayana finally relented, agreeing to coffee with her foster sister's.

"You haven't heard a word I've said, have you?" Iris huffed, glaring at her, annoyance written clearly across her face.

"Sorry," She shook her head, scratching the back of her neck.

"What's wrong?" Iris looked concerned, tilting her head slightly.

"Nothing," Ayana insisted, staring blankly ahead.

"Really? Because you seem distracted, do you want to talk about it?"

Ayana sighed, giving a small shake of her head. "It's nothing."

"Is this about Snart?" Iris frowned, reaching out and placing her hand on her shoulder.

The question threw Ayana off. No one knew of her interactions with Snart other than when she assisted Team Flash. No one except Barry.

Ayana groaned, "Barry told you he saw me with Leo?"

"Yep," Iris smirked, leaning against the booth they were sitting at. "Do you like him?"

She couldn't meet Iris eyes, "I don't want to."

"But you do?" Iris pushed, trying to get answers.

She chuckled sadly, "Those damn eyes fucked me over."

"Is that really such a bad thing?"

Ayana groaned, her shoulders slumping. "A man with charm is a dangerous thing, I learned that the hard way."

Iris eyes softened, "You can't let the past define your future,"

"Said like a true journalist, " Ayana grinned weakly, hoping to break the tension.

"That doesn't make it any less true," Iris argued, sitting back in her seat.

With a sigh, Ayana gazed outside of the window, "I know," She admitted. "But he makes me feel things that I don't want to feel,"

"Like love?" Iris asked, smiling slightly.

"Love?" She questioned, cocking her head to the side. "No, he doesn't love me."

"Do you want him to?"

She sighed heavily, lowering her gaze to her lap. "Yes."

Iris was silent for a moment before speaking, "Why?"

"Because," Ayana hesitated, struggling to come up with an answer. "Because I've never felt like this before, not even with Carter," She closed her eyes, thinking back to those days.

"Carter?" Iris asked.

Ayana sat quietly for several moments, trying to repress her memories of Carter Hall. Finally opening her eyes, she looked at Iris with hardened eyes. "He doesn't matter, not anymore."

Iris narrowed her eyes, studying her friend carefully. "You're hiding something," She accused, suddenly realizing just how far Ayana went to hide her pain from others.

"I'm hiding a lot of things," She shrugged. "Some things are better left unsaid."

"Like your feelings for Snart?"

Ayana nodded, her body tense. "Yes."

Iris and Ayana's conversation was cut short as gunshots rang out.

Ayana pulled Iris under the table, "Stay here," She ordered.

Her eyes scanned the Cafe, landing in the two masked figures, guns drawn.

She crept out from underneath the table, walking slowly towards the two men. One of the gunmen noticed her approaching, turning to face her.

He took aim at her, firing off a shot. She dove out of the way, narrowly avoiding the bullet.

She immediately sprang back up, grabbing his arm and wrenching it, causing him to release his weapon.

The gunman cried out in pain, clutching his arm, blood beginning to drip onto the floor.

She stepped forward, pinning him to the wall with one foot while using the other to wrap her fist tightly around his throat. With one swift motion, she smashed his head against the wall.

As he crumpled to the ground, the other gunman fired several shots. Bullets whizzed by her head, striking the walls nearby. She ducked, dodging most of the bullets.

Grabbing the gunman's gun, she held it firmly in her hand, pointing it at his head.

Before he could react, she kicked him square in the chest. She followed up by slamming her knee into his stomach, knocking the wind out of him.

In a flash, she was standing over him, holding his gun pointed straight at his head.

"You're lucky my brother will be here any minute and I dont want to upset him," She growled.

He struggled beneath her weight, attempting to fight her off. Before he could succeed, a streak of red raced through the cafe.

Turning to see Barry standing behind her, clad in his signature red suit, her attacker instantly ceased fighting. Instead, he placed his hands behind his head, holding them in place.

"Took you long enough," She smirked, teasing her brother.

"Looks like you had it under control to me," He smirked back.

"Someone had to keep your girlfriend safe," She rolled her eyes.

Barry moved towards the still struggling gunman, crouching down beside him.

"Are you expecting a thank you?" He asked, looking over his shoulder at his sister.

"Who doesn't like a thank you?" Ayana teased, flashing him a playful smile.

"Thank you," He answered, "I should probably get these guys out of here."

Ayana nodded, "See you later Flash," She called over her shoulder, as she made her way back towards Iris.