Ch. 13

"Azhara?" Sara said, recognizing the brunette woman.

"Been awhile Ta-er al-Sahfer," Ayana greeted, flashing the younger assassin a warm smile.

"What's with the gibberish?" Mick grunted, looking between the women.

"Members of the League of Assassins relinquish their names along with their previous life once they become initiated members," Rip responded.

"I thought you said she was a Gideon expert," Kendra questioned, "How would an assassin give advice about a AI system?"

Ayana glared at the woman, "Because this assassin went to MIT and has a doctorate in Mechanical and Computer Engineering," she answered pointedly. "Oh, and I'm the one who created Gideon."

Kendra looked confused, "But...when did an assassin have time to get a doctorate?"

"I wasn't always an assassin," Ayana replied, folding her arms across her chest.

"Miss Allen's history isn't important right now, getting to that timeship is," Rip reminded, "Let's get this thing started."

"Dr. Palmer, I leave the ship in your hands while we're gone."

Ayana watched as half of the group filed out of the bridge, leaving Ayana with Sara, Leonard, Kendra, and-

"Palmer," A scowl crept onto Ayana's face.

Ray looked sheepish, "Hey Aya."

"Aya?" Leonard said, an uneasy feeling creeping over him.

"You look great," Ray said, a sheepish look still plastered on his face.

"I know," She responded dryly.

"I'm sensing some tension," Sara observed, cocking an eyebrow at Ayana.

"Me too," Leonard added, joining in on the observation. Glancing from Ray to the woman he can't seem to get off his mind.

Ray frowned, "Ayana and I may have dated in college," he blurted out.

Everyone turned to look at him. Leonard glanced at his object of his affection, "You dated him,"

"Breifly." Ayana admitted, shrugging her shoulders, "I found out he was screwing one of my friends. So I broke up with him."

Palmer's face flushed with embarrassment as the weight of his past actions lingered in the air. He averted his gaze, unable to meet Ayana's eyes. "I messed up, Ayana," he said, his voice filled with remorse. "I was young and foolish, and I deeply regret what I did. I'm truly sorry for the pain I caused you."

Ayana's scowl softened slightly, but her guard remained up. "Apology noted," she replied curtly.

Leonard, still processing the revelation, took a seat, opting to remain quiet. Ayana took a seat beside him.

They remained silent as Ray and Kendra flirted playfully with each other in the background.

Leonard slowly glanced up, meeting her eyes. They stared at each other for several long moments before Leonard cleared his throat, then turning to Sara who sat nearby, "Oof Mock had it wrong. This ship isn't a prison, it's a torture chamber."

Ayana giggled as Sara smirked, "I don't think Mick's problem is with the ship."

Ayana lifted an eyebrow, curiosity getting the better of her.

"You think it's with me," Leonard clarified, staring straight ahead.

"You did knock him out and force him to leave 2046 Star City- which is like Disneyland for felons."

"He'll get over it. Mick runs hot, he always has." Leonard shrugged, leaning back against the seat, his demeanor relaxing somewhat.

Ayana chuckled, joining the conversation, "Only you could get away with doing that."

Leonard rolled his eyes, "Once he calms down, everything will be back to normal."

"I bet that sounded more convincing in your head," Ayana snarked, leaning against his side.

His arms came around her waist, "I meant it."

Sara looked at the two curiosity, but was interrupted by a beeping from the control panel before she could ask.

"I'd like to speak to acting Captain Raymond Palmer,"

"Ooh, acting Captain- I like the sound of that." Ayna and Leonard both rolled their eyes simultaneously, earning a smirk from Sara.

"I'm Captain Palmer. Who are you?"

"I'm the man holding your crew hostage." The voice replied.

"Captain Palmer, I've informed Mr. Valor of the fiery retribution you'll rain down upon him if we are not released immediately." Ayana and Sara shared a look, communicating silently.

A grunt of pain could be heard from the other side of the screen.

"I'm gonna make this real simple; You surrender your ship, and I'll drop you off unharmed at a place and time of your choosing." Rip's face was held against the device. Their was a breif pause, "You've got 10 seconds to decide."

"Or else what? If you want the Waverider for yourself, there's no way you'll fire on us." Ray countered.

"Perhaps, but right now, I've got my sights set on your captain's head." Valor said with a shrug of his shoulders.

"Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. Okay. Just give me a chance to negotiate." Ray held his hands up defensively.

"Ten... nine..." The man counted.

"Maybe he's bluffing." Ray offered.

"Eight..."

"Doesn't feel like it." Leonard commented.

"People like that don't bluff," Ayana pointed out.

"Seven..."

"You don't know Palmer, and how he survived the "Imperiex" onslaught." An alarm blared.

"Programmed phrase," Ayana muttered, impressed.

"Uh, Gideon?" Ray called out.

"Shut up and stap in!" Ayana called at the oblivious scientist.

She quickly made her way to a seat, Leonard and Sara in tow.

The trio prepared themselves, buckling in their seats.

"Captain Hunter programmed me to execute certain protocols in response to specific keywords." Gideon announced.

"What does that mean in English?" Leonard asked, subconsciously grabbing Ayana's hand.

"Strap yourselves in. We are on the move and preparing to fire." Gideon replied as Kendra and Ray strapped into their seats.