Ch. 7

Ayana let out a content sigh as she walked into the bar

Ayana let out a content sigh as she walked into the bar. Saints & Sinners was one of her favorite places in Central City. Now that she lived alone, it provided the perfect place to unwind after a long day.

Stepping inside, she scanned the crowd, looking for a familiar face. Immediately, her gaze locked onto Evelyn Rory. Taking a seat at the bar, she waited for the impending confrontation.

However, when Evelyn finally arrived, she seemed oblivious to the presence of Ayana. She sat at the bar, chatting with several men while sipping on a glass of whiskey. Several minutes passed before Ayana could stand it anymore.

"I see some things haven't changed," Ayana teased, turning to watch her oldest friend.

Evelyn froze mid-sentence, looking at Ayana as if she were a ghost. She recovered quickly, returning to her conversation with the men. However, once she returned to her conversation, Ayana noticed a subtle shift in her demeanor. Her normally flirtatious tone had been replaced by something much colder. Even worse, she avoided eye contact with Ayana. It was almost as if she wanted to pretend Ayana didn't exist.

She felt sick. She hadn't expected Evelyn to welcome her with open arms, but she hoped she'd at least acknowledge her existence.

"Evie," Ayana tried again, using the nickname she hadn't used in six years.

Still nothing.

But Ayana knew her best friend, she knew how to make her tick. "evalin, mujhe pata hai tum mujhe sunatee ho," (Evelyn, I know you hear me.) Ayana called out in Hindi, the native language of Nanda Parbat.

"Don't talk to me in languages I don't understand!" Evelyn spat angrily.

"So you did hear me?" Ayana mused, pleased. "You know, its not very nice to ignore people."

"It's not very nice to dissappear for six years either," Evelyn retorted coldly.

"Why are you here?" Evelyn demanded, cutting Ayana off.

"Needed a drink," Ayana replied simply.

"You know that's not what I meant," Evelyn hissed.

Ayana sighed, tired of Evelyn's games. She leaned forward in her chair, "What do you want me to say? I'm sorry? You're right, I shouldn't have disappeared. I made mistakes, ones I hope I won't ever repeat. But they're behind me. I've learned from them, I've moved on."

Evelyn opened her mouth to speak, but paused, considering her words carefully. "Do you really think that's enough?" she asked quietly.

"It's all I have," Ayana answered, unwilling to lie to her friend.

Silence hung in the air for a moment, broken only by the sound of music playing in the background.

"Tell me why you left," Evelyn requested.