17 - Bloodstained

Start from the beginning

"Don't you think people will want Aegon to be king ?" She asked again, she needed to be reassured, to know that her grandfather was still backing her mother. No matter how many sons he had sired after naming her princess of Dragonstone.

"Aegon is far from suited, little one." He chuckled and Aemma smiled.

She had been right to come visit him before the Maesters could make him drink milk of the poppy. He almost looked like his younger self, when she was still a child sat on his lap. She could have a normal conversation with him.

Aegon was not suited for the role, but perhaps if he had been raised to become king, he wouldn't have turned the way he had. He might have become a good prince, clever and fair. Not that... drunken cunt.

"He could have been," she spoke, raising her head to look at the king. "Had he been raised for the role." She defended her uncle, she didn't know why, but she found it in herself to pity him. When not shining from ale and wine, his eyes were always sad, always angry.

"He could have been." The king repeated. "But he is not my firstborn. I had to put things right after what I did to my queen." He whispered, a tear rolled down his cheek as he reached for Aemma's hand to toy with her golden ring.

Aemma felt her heart getting heavier and her own eyes become wet. She pressed his hand in hers. "You didn't have any other choice. You had to save what you had." She tried to reassure him but he only shook his head.

"I had enough. I had my daughter, my heir. I was greedy, I wanted more. The maesters' scalpel didn't kill her. My desire for a son did. The gods are punishing me for it." He said, and Aemma sucked a deep breath. She wished she could appease his pains, but she knew he was right. Had he not been so stubborn in his desire for a son, queen Aemma would still be alive. But everything would have been different. She probably wouldn't even exist. Nor would her brothers, uncles and aunt. Alicent would have married another lord, more fitting her station as the daughter of a second son, she never would have became queen. And she would have still been friend with her mother.

She didn't say anything. Aemma didn't believe in gods. She believed in fate, in people making decisions that changed the course of life. It was fate that the king wanted a son to assure his succession. It was fate that the babe was in breeched. It was natural for the king to wish to at least, save his child.  It was fate that Baelon didn't survive. And it was only scheming if Otto had managed to convince the king to marry his daughter.

But it was done now. Nothing could be changed. "Do you think my mother will be accepted as queen ?" She asked but as the king opened his mouth to respond, the door cracked open on the hand and his army of maesters.

The Otto seemed surprised to see Aemma in the rooms, but didn't say anything to show it. "Princess." He greeted her before turning toward his king. "Your grace."

The king smiled at his friend and Aemma stood, understanding that she should leave to allow the king to receive his treatment. "I feel better today Otto." The king spoke up and the hand smiled.

"It is good to hear, your grace." Otto said. "We mustn't slow the treatment now." He followed and Aemma gazed at the maesters various ointments and potions.

"Perhaps the king doesn't need milk of the poppy today." She spoke up and the hand gazed at her. "He seems alright today, I shall administer it when he's in pain." She said to the grand maester who only looked at Otto for help.