10 - Venom

Three days had past since Aemma had brought Corlys back to Driftmark

Three days had past since Aemma had brought Corlys back to Driftmark. She had spent some time with her grandmother and grandfather, but she had spent almost all the time with Baela, on the beach. Reading and listening to her. Baela was a talkative person and Aemma loved that. Not having to talk around her. Especially on days like today.

A nightmare had woken Aemma up. Since then, her stomach had been begging her to eat, yet she had skipped lunch. Again.

For three days she had barely eaten. She could have, but the weight in her stomach was hurting her so much that she could only drink the right amount of water to feel her stomach full, and eat something with the right amount of sugar for her legs not to break under her weight.

Baela was there, talking about something, probably her sister, or what happened the last time she visited Dragonstone. But Aemma was not. Her mind was elsewhere. Consumed by the images hunting her since her eyes shut open.

She had another nightmare that night. The marks below her eyes were proof enough. She didn't want to think about it.
Never again.

But she couldn't escape it. She couldn't escape the shadow behind her and the venom it was spitting out.
The venom poisoning her mind.
Its voice mocking her and talking so loud that she couldn't even hear her sister.

But the whispers were driving her crazy.
He was driving her crazy.

So she just kept staring at nothing and often nodded to whatever Baela had to say.

"Are you even listening to me ?" The younger girl asked with a frown and her cousin offered her a wide smile which, however, didn't reach her eyes.

"Yes of course. That Gerion boy in town." She replied and Baela nodded, satisfied before resuming her story.

What's wrong Aemma ?

The Velaryon princess kept looking at her rings and playing with them to hide her trembling hands.

Do you keep denying it ?

Aemma took a deep breath and shook her head to chase this voice. Leave me alone, she kept repeating to herself. Leave me alone, leave me alone leave me alone leave me alone go away.

Just go away.

She swallowed hard when black spots appeared in the room. Her head was so heavy. All her body was. Her heart was so heavy that it had sank in her stomach to keep her from eating anything.

So you're still denying it.

That's not true. She wanted to scream. It wasn't true. None of this was. Was she even real ? Perhaps she had died that night in Driftmark.
Had she ?

Was she even here ?

You can't breathe. Can you ?

Yes. She could. She was breathing right now. Otherwise she would be dead. But.. why was her throat so tight ? Why were her hands as cold as a dead man's ? No. She couldn't. She couldn't breathe. She had been drowning since she had woken up in the middle of the night three days ago. Laenor's hand had never left her throat.