38.3 Shaadi Shenanigans

03. Zindagi Milke Bitayenge - The Challenges

It took nearly midnight for the guests to leave after which Tej and Shakti practically chastised Dadi back to her room so she would sleep, absolutely agreeing that she was not old, they just wanted her to have some rest before all the chaos that the next morning would bring. Later, they bid the rest goodnight and headed off to their own rooms.

Utterly exhausted, the younger Oberois (and Shivaay) were slumped on the couch, all except Rudra who had slipped off sometime ago. Bhavya peered around, watching the house-staff clean up that night's decorations. She wanted to get up and ask one of them if they had seen Rudra but was afraid of moving Priyanka who had fallen asleep on her shoulder. Her phone rang and Bhavya picked it up, noticing that it was past 12 as she read the two messages.

From: Dunn

Happy birthday! Hope the Oberoi's aren't driving you mad?

From: Rudy🐵

Can you come by the poolside? It's important!!!

Bhavya stifled a laugh at his text. So typical of him to ask if the Oberois were being annoying, just because his experience with him had been less than friendly initially did not mean hers would have been the same. She slid a pillow in her place and checked that it had not disturbed Priyanka before getting up and heading towards the poolside. She could text Dunn later, her priority was checking if Rudra was in some trouble.

"Bhavya? Where are you going?" Shivaay asked as he returned from the kitchen with a glass of water and a pill.

"Just some fresh air, are you okay bhaiyya?" she gestured to the medicine in his palm.

"Bit of a headache but I'll be okay," Shivaay smiled, "don't be out too late."

Bhavya nodded, rushing away, clutching her ringing phone. When she reached finally reached the poolside, she was surprised to find that all the lights were switched off. Hesitantly, she reached for the tree nearby and nearly yelled in shock when she felt flowers shower down upon her. Almost childishly, she spread her arms out and twirled in delight, reveling in the pouring petals when a light dazzled her and she nearly toppled head-first into the pool, saved by a tug that pulled her into a hard chest.

"Not how I planned that," Rudra said sheepishly, still holding tight onto her, "But happy birthday Bhavya!"

Bhavya looked up at Rudra and punched his arm lightly. "What if I fell?"

Rudra laughed, "As if I would ever let that happen! I know you don't need saving but I'll always be there for you."

Bhavya smiled at the determination with which he had declared that. Rudra might have said it off-handedly but to Bhavya the knowledge that he was always in her corner, sent her over the moon. Not that she would ever admit that to him, of course.

"Aap ne ye sab kiya? For me?" she asked, marveling at the make-shift decorations he had set up, now visible in the light.

"Nahi nahi, this is all for Sahil. Aaj uska bhi birthday hai na," Rudra mocked, "of course it's for you. Aap itna dumb question kaise puch sakti hai? Annika bhabi helped me but sab plan maine kiya." he raised an invisible collar, the pride evident on his face.

"Thank you! I love it." she said.

"But we still have one more surprise!" he exclaimed, leading her by her shoulders to the bar where there was a small box waiting. Rudra slipped onto one of the stools, pushing the box towards her.