07. Growing up

Set 21 years after the show, (non-redux).

For as long as Sia Singh Oberoi could remember, no one in the world had adored her more than her father. She was quite literally his pride and joy. While Aarav was their mother's darling, Sia held the title of Shivaay's princess.

She recalled how her late Badi Dadi had always told them that Sia and Aarav were complete opposites. Of how Sia's first words had been "Da-da," followed by "hugs?" How Sia had taken her first steps towards Shivaay when he had come home from a business trip, stumbling slightly in her haste to reach her father.

Sia had always admired Shivaay's every little thing. How her father and presented himself in public or how he was always striving to make time for family no matter the hubbub around. They had made a pact when Sia was 7, that she would never hide anything from her papa.

She had religiously followed the pact too- 12 whole years she had never hidden anything from him. She couldn't do it even if she tried, Shivaay could read her like an open book.

Now, however, Sia was in a dilemma. She had a big secret. One she desperately wanted to tell her father about. She had refrained from doing so for a year, afraid of Shivaay's reaction to her news, for Shivaay was fiercely protective of Sia and kept the opinion that his daughter would not be dating "until she is atleast 30!" Sia knew that wouldn't be the case but the guilt of having hidden her boyfriend from Shivaay was making her uneasy.

It had been easy the past year- to hide that she had in fact been dating Shaurya Rana- her brother's best friend and son of her parents' friend Mallika and Sidharth Rana because she had been at Oxford, far away from everyone's prying eyes. Now that she had come back home for the summer, she doubted if she could keep it hidden for so long.

She paced around her room, pondering the best way to break the news to her dad when her cousins and twin walked in.
"What's got you in such a mess?" asked Aarav and even through her worry, Sia could sense the sarcasm in his question.
"Like you don't already know A!" she muttered.

"Sorry, bad timing. Also, Shaurya called. He's asking if you've told papa yet. Apparently he's told his mum who is now jumping with joy and running around Rana house screaming!" Aarav told her, stifling a laugh.

"Well that's the second parent to know then. Just papa and Siddharth uncle to go. Here's hoping they don't murder us." Sia said.

"Bade Chachu loves you too much di! I think you should just go into his study when he comes home and tell him. Either that or you get Maasi to tell him, I'm sure she'll end up spilling at some point. God knows our mum's can't keep things to themselves." suggested Kavya.

"You, Kavya Singh Oberoi, are a flipping genius!" beamed Sia while Aarav snorted behind her. Turning to face him, she raised an eyebrow, "what part of this situation is funny oh brother of mine?"

"The part where you say flipping instead of just saying fuck. But seriously Sia, papa will be fine, and its just Shaurya. He's known him as long as we have." coaxed Aarav.

"I suppose you're right, I'll talk to him when he comes home." said Sia, decisively.

"So that means next time Shaurya bhai comes over, we can tease the hell out of him?" asked Neil, grinning.

"Of course we can Neil!!" said Aarav just as Sia muttered "No bloody way! If you and Dhruv do anything stupid I'll kill you."

They burst into laughter and little Nisha voiced out her opinion, "Why you wanna kill Dhruv and Neil bhai?"

Neil facepalmed himself- his sister really was too innocent for the world.

Lost in their momentary happiness, the group did not notice that Shivaay had come home until he knocked the door to Sia's room. "Hey kids! I've been sent here to tell you guys that dinner's ready and that you need to grace the dinner table with your presence."

"We'll be there bade chachu. Oh- and Sia wants to tell you something important." Kavya said, nudging Sia and walking out, followed by the rest.

Shivaay looked Sia, "You look worried sweetheart, what is it you wanted to tell me?"

"I think you'd best sit down for this one dad. And pinky promise you won't get mad?" Sia asked.

Shivaay nodded, interlocking his finger with hers, "Pinky promise Sia. Now can you tell me what's up? I'm worried."

Taking a deep breath, Sia began "I know you're gonna be super mad at me and I'm seriously so sorry but I didn't know how to tell you because you're my favourite person ever and I didn't wanna hurt you but I'm kind of dating Shaurya and he's honestly the best papa, please don't be mad. Mum and Mallika aunty know and they don't mind either just please don't be angry."
she finished huffing lightly.

Shivaay looked into his daughter's eyes, so like his own. He could see the fear and apprehension clouding them.
"So you're dating Shaurya Rana and Annika and Mallika know? So does Aarav?" he asked trying to comprehend all that had just happened. Sia nodded, still fearful. 

"And you're happy? Because if you're not I swear I'm going to break Shaurya's jaw!" muttered Shivaay.

"I'm happy papa, honestly so so happy!"

"As long as you're happy sweetheart, I'm good. I just wish you'd told me earlier. Shaurya's a good kid, I trust him."

"So you're not mad?"

"Like I said, I just wish you'd told me earlier Sia, but I'm not mad. I could never stay mad at you Sia, you know that." 

Shivaay got up and Sia ran into his arms and he held her tight.
"Love you papa, you're the best."

"Love you too sweetheart. But you swear you won't ever break our pact again."

"Yes papa!"

They stayed like that for a few minutes until Annika and Aarav turned up.
"See I told you they'd be fine mumma! Mujhe inki wajah se khaana nahi mila." said Aarav, head rested on Annika's shoulder.

"You're right Aaru! Look at these two cuddling while the rest of us bechare are waiting for them to come out so that some people can have dinner!" declared Annika.

Sia laughed, "Just became all you can think of is food Aarav doesn't mean the rest of us have to."

"Problem sorted?" Annika asked, looking straight at Shivaay who nodded.

"Can we pleaseee have dinner then?" whined Aarav.

"Yes we can maa ke bhakt, let's go." muttered Sia as the family moved out, discussing how Shivaay and Aarav would absolutely not be talking to Shaurya.

A/N:
Shot requested by @Shivikabest. Hope I did justice to Sia and Shivaay's relationship.
To clarify a few things regarding the junior Oberois, I'll be putting up a chapter tomorrow so that you can have more clarity regarding who's who. If you have any requests for more shots, tell me in the comments.

Also- a very happy 5 years of the first day of filming Ishqbaaz!

Vote and comment if you liked, constructive criticism is always welcome :)

Thank you for reading, say safe.
lots of love,
writinganewtale ✨