CHAPTER 38 - BEING NORMAL -

The next morning I woke up by the sunbeams. I felt way more relaxed than the night before. No nightmares, no waking up in the middle of the night.

I looked next to me where Erling was still sleeping. His arm was still around me and my head rested on his chest.
Carefully, I got out of bed and walked into the bathroom. I got ready and then walked back into my room. When I entered it Erling was already awake.
He sat on the bed and tapped on his phone.
When I entered the room, he noticed me right away and looked up.
"Good morning, beautiful."

I blushed and smiled shyly. "Good morning."
Erling spread his arm out to me.
Immediately, I accepted his invitation and sat down on the bed. Erling put his feet in the ground and gently pulled me into his arms. I closed my eyes and snuggled into his arms.
"How'd you sleep?"

"Great. What about you?" I mumbled against his chest.
Erling's hand gently ran over my back while the other one just held me tightly. "Amazing.", he answered grinning.
I couldn't help but smile. He's perfect. Everything about him. There wasn't one thing, I would change about him.
I loved being with him.

*

At school we were sitting at our table. Erling and I were successful not to run into Brody.
A few minutes later the lesson was done.
Erling and I left the classroom and walked to my locker. I opened it and put my book inside.
"Yo bro."
A masculine voice appeared behind me. I turned around and saw Erling and one of his friends greet each other. "What's up?"

"What about my party? Are you coming today?"

"I'll let you know, alright?"

"Sure man." He said. "You can bring your girl, too."

"Thanks, man." Erling and Matt did a quick handshake and then he left.
His girl? He referred to me as Erling's girl?
That kind of made me smile.
I closed my locker and turned to Erling. "What party?"

"Matt's birthday is on Saturday. He's throwing a party."

"Don't you wanna go?"

"Nah, I don't have to."

"You can go."

Erling looked at me, seriously. "Not going without you."

I bit my lip. "I don't mind going."

"Madelyn, you don't have to do anything you don't want to do."

"Well, I want to go."

Erling looked at me and it seemed like he was scanning my face. "Are you sure?"

I nodded. "Okay." He grabbed my hand and squeezed it gently.

*

Later that day, we got ready for the party.

I took my bag and then walked to the door

Erling was in the middle of putting his shoes on.
I was nervous. Nervous because we were going to a party. I never felt comfortable being at crowded places. But with Erling, I dared to.

"Ready?", Erling asked after he got up from the bed. He was standing right in front of me, now.
I nodded, silently.
Erling grabbed my hand. "We don't have to go, if you don't want to."

"No, I do.", I said. "I-I really do. It's good to be out of the house for a bit. Especially now that it's the weekend."

Erling sighed, slightly. "Yeah." He mumbled. "Just promise, you will let me now right away, if you feel uncomfortable and want to leave, okay?"

"I promise." I smiled. He was the sweetest.
Erling got closer to my face and then kissed me. I replied the kiss happy and wrapped my arms around his neck.

*

Erling, Matt, Gaby and I were standing at the bar, getting drinks. For me it was just a regular coke, no alcohol.
Erling didn't buy alcohol either.
Matt and Gaby disappeared into the crowd.
"Do you wanna go outside? The sea is really close to Matt's house."

I nodded, smiling. Spending time with him alone would always be priority.

He grabbed my hand and pulled me gently with him outside the house.
Not even 5 minutes later, we stopped near the sea.
Erling sat down on a bench, which faced the sea perfectly.
It was so calm here, in the middle of the night.
I sat down next to him.
Erling put his right arm around my shoulder and gently pulled me closer.
I rested my head on his shoulder.
For a moment it was quiet.
"I'm so glad, I met you." He suddenly says.
I can't help but smile and look up at him.
"Really?"

He seems surprised by my question. "Of course, curly."
I smiled, feeling happy for the first time in a long while.

"You know - I was so scared to start at our school a few weeks ago." I said, playing with my fingers while my head rested on his shoulder. "Why's that?"

I swallowed.
"I-I never had it easy at my old school..." the memories hurt.
"I-I'm not really likeable."

"What?" He moves his body a little away to be able to look at me. "You kidding? You're more than likeable."

I look down my hands.
"To them, I wasn't."

Erling gently grabbed my left hand with his left one.
"What happened?"

I looked up at him and noticed his concern look.
"They treated me badly... everyday was like hell."

I was ashamed - even though I knew this wasn't my fault. It was theirs. They were the bullies not me.

"They insulted me, pushed me around, humbled me."
Erling swallowed.
He shortly after moved his hand from mine and up to my cheek. Gently, he caressed my cheek. "I'm sorry, Rose. I'm so sorry.", he whispered against my face.
"They're assholes and they don't deserve you, okay? You're amazing and the best thing that's ever happened to me."

Tears filled my eyes.
I couldn't believe someone actually said those words to me. And that that someone was Erling.