6

Rosetta threw her name tag onto the staff room desk, picked up her bag and left the motel. It was cool today, as it usually was in autumn. She saw Hugo in his booth, and put her head down. She didn't want to discuss the Lunar gift with him, knowing his lies. Once she was past him, she took out her portscreen and checked it. There was one comm.
COMM RECEIVED FOR ROSETTA LUCIANA FROM MATEO LUCIANA:
DO NOT COME HOME.

She broke into a run. She ran through the streets, almost hitting a taxi, and jumped onto the stairs. She leaped up them and went to the first house she saw. She could hear screaming inside. She fumbled for her keys in her bag, jamming them through the door once she found them. She slammed it open and swiftly slipped into the kitchen. Her parent where shouting at eachother.

"WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME?" Screamed Papa.

"HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO? JUST SLIP IT INTO A CONVERSATION? YOU WOULD HAVE HATED ME!" Mama screamed back.

"YOU'VE GOT THAT RIGHT MARIA!" Papa turned to face Rosetta. Her mother saw.

"NOOO!" She begged. "PLEASE! PLEASE DON'T TELL HER. SHE'LL HATE ME! NO, MATEO NO!"

"Your mother," he hissed through his teeth. His lowered voice was already scaring her. "Is a Lunar."

*

People were screaming. They were running, fleeing. But what would that do? That showed their fear, showed them what they wanted to see. She was the only one out. She was alone. A wolf- hybrid came out from behind her. She spun round and felt for her gun. She drew it from her back pocket and stared in horror. The magazine had gone. She had shot so many, who knew where it could be? She looked on the ground. There! One was only a few feet away from her. The mutant was coming closer, the pungent blood dripping from his mouth. She dived for the magazine and loaded her gun. She aimed for the head. There was the unmistakable bang of the bullet, and drop from the body. Someone came out from the ruins.
"The girl wields the gun, the girl saved my son, my little son! She will help us! She will shoot the monsters! She is our hope! Do not show fear! Be like the Gun Girl!"
A man was snarling behind the woman. He pinned her down. She aimed the gun for her head and pulled the trigger and waited for the bang and the drop. But it never came. She had used the last bullet. The mutant sneered and leaned over the woman...

"Rosetta!" Carlos said, worry etched on his face.
She woke up with a start. She looked around. She was not in her house; she was in Carlos's house. She had come there after her parents argument. When she found her mother was..
She looked at Carlos. He was sitting next to the bundle of blankets that had made for a mattress while she stayed. He wrapped his arms around her and gave her a well needed hug.
"Lunar," she whispered. "She is Lunar."

"I know," he replied. "You told me last night. Oh Rosetta, you were shaking in your sleep. I didn't know what to do, I had to wake you up. Are you alright?"

"Nightmare. Of the night when the mutants came. Carlos, she is one of them. One of the people that caused the death of so many."
When she began to cry, Carlos released her.

"Don't think about that. If Maria agreed with them, don't you think she would have stayed? You know the laws here, it was probably hard for her too."

Rosetta gasped. The laws. Papa . She would be killed.

"Mama! Papa will tell the police! Oh, no no no no! She'll be killed!"

"He wouldn't. He knows she's your mother, be wouldn't do that to you," he reassured.

She recalled the events of yesterday, how Papa had looked at her mother, how he was so glad to tell her daughter what her mother was. Not who. What.

"You-you didn't see him. He would, Car, he would tell them, not even thinking about me!" She began to take heavy breaths, her head ached from the worry and guilt.

"Carlos you have to help me!" She said, trying to get up. But when she did, she instantly fell back in pain.

"Roz! Your leg! Don't you remember?" He asked.

She looked at her leg and remembered. Remembered it all. Her leg, now bandages heavily from her knee; Papa's face when he told her. There was no regret. No remorse. Just the happiness to get rid of her.

Carlos explained what had happened. "Your door slammed so I went outside to check. I stood their waiting. I heard screaming from your house. Then I saw you. And your dad followed. He-he took a glass bowl and through it at you, screaming coward, and you fell into me. I caught you, being the heroic person I am-" She chuckled at that.
He continued, "And you fell asleep on the floor. I bandaged you up when you were sleeping."

She was still sitting next to him. He stood up and gave out his hand. She took it and he guided her to the kitchen. Mrs Alvaro was sitting on the counter. She took her off of Carlos.
"Stop pestering her, you!" She scolded. He held his hands up in defence.

"She fell on me! I can't help it!" He said, giving his mother a quick kiss on the cheek.

Rosetta looked at her leg again. "How did it get that bad?" She asked.

"Your father has good aim," spat Mrs Alvaro. "I'm sorry, Roz. If you want, you can stay here for a while, until things get sorted."

She thought about her offer. "I think I might have to take that one, Mrs Alvaro. But can I visit Mama first?"

"Of course, Carlos can help you." She replied.

"Gleefully," he said, holding his hand out yet again.

Walking the across to her house, Rosetta thought about what she might find there. Her mother and father happy? Her father saying her mother had gone? Her mother abandoned? The police at her side?

She hobbled to the front door. It was open. She jogged inside, ignoring the pain in her leg.
"Rosetta!" Carlos shouted. He raced after her to the kitchen. She was leaning on the kitchen counter. She screamed. On the table was a note.

FOLLOW
ME
IF
YOU
WANT
HER
BACK.

A/N
DUN DUN DUUUUUUN
Hello readers!
I just wanted to clear some things.
I publish my chapters in chunks. So when I published these 6 chapters in one day, don't think 'oh mY god hOW cAn SHe wRitE THaT MuCH in A DaY'
Cuz I DIDN'T
I will write drafts and then publish them when I think they're adequate.
Bye