Sunflowers

Canada x Ukraine

Canada was walking home from school, humming a tune and carrying his backpack full of books and maple syrup. He loved his life in Ottawa, where he lived with his family and his pet beaver. He had many friends at school, but there was one girl who always caught his eye. Her name was Ukraine, and she was the most beautiful girl he had ever seen.

Ukraine had moved to Canada a year ago, after her father, USSR, had died. She had escaped from a life of poverty and oppression, where she had been starved and abused by her cruel father. She had 14 siblings, but only two of them had come with her to Canada: her older sister Belarus, and her younger brother Russia. Russia was dating Canada's younger brother America, who was loud and obnoxious, but also kind and generous. Ukraine loved her siblings, but she also wanted to make new friends and explore the country.

She had noticed Canada at school, and she liked him a lot. He was always cheerful and friendly, and he had a cute smile and a funny accent. He also seemed to have a strange obsession with maple syrup, which he put on everything from pancakes to pizza. Ukraine thought that was weird, but also endearing. She liked his family too, especially his parents France and UK, who were very cultured and sophisticated, and his sister New Zealand, who was sweet and adventurous. She was not so fond of his other brother Australia, who was rude and arrogant, and always made fun of her accent.

One day, as Canada was walking home, he saw Ukraine sitting on a bench in the park. She was wearing a dress with sunflowers on it, and a crown of sunflowers on her head. She looked like a princess from a fairy tale. Canada felt his heart skip a beat, and he decided to approach her.

"Hi, Ukraine," he said nervously. "How are you?"

Ukraine looked up and smiled. "Hi, Canada," she said. "I'm fine, thank you. How are you?"

"I'm good," he said. "I just finished school. Do you have any plans for today?"

"Not really," she said. "I just came here to enjoy the sun and the flowers. I love sunflowers. They remind me of my home."

"Your home?" he asked.

"Yes," she said. "I used to live in Eastern Europe. It's very beautiful there. There are many fields of sunflowers that stretch for miles."

"Wow," he said. "That sounds amazing."

"It is," she said. "But it's also very sad. My country has suffered a lot from wars and famines and corruption. My father was a tyrant who ruled over us with an iron fist. He didn't care about us at all. He only cared about himself and his power."

"That's terrible," he said.

"It is," she said. "But I'm glad he's gone now. He died last year, and we were able to escape from him."

"I'm sorry for your loss," he said.

"Don't be," she said. "He was not a good father. He was not a good person."

Canada didn't know what to say to that. He felt sorry for Ukraine, but he also admired her strength and courage.

"Can I sit with you?" he asked.

"Sure," she said.

He sat down next to her on the bench, and they started to talk more. They talked about their hobbies, their dreams, their families, their cultures. They found out that they had a lot in common, but also a lot of differences. They laughed at each other's jokes, they listened to each other's stories, they learned from each other's perspectives.

They felt a connection that they had never felt before.

They didn't notice how much time had passed until the sun started to set.

They looked at each other and smiled.

"Can I walk you home?" he asked.

"I'd like that," she said.

They got up from the bench and held hands as they walked towards her house.

They felt happy.

They felt alive.

They felt in love.