Chapter Fifteen

Magsimula sa umpisa

Kicking her out of the party was an added bonus.

"Let's table the fact that you didn't tell me you were being bullied first. How did the dance make you feel?" Astrid insists.

Me? How did I feel? I've always enjoyed dancing even though my mom forced me into it but last night was different. A good different.

"I liked it as well, it felt really nice. I can't remember the last time I had that much fun dancing. Moms nagging finally paid off." I express.

"Oh how I wish I was in high school again. I would have loved to see that." Astrid cheers.

"It's highschool I'm sure someone took a video. I'll send it to you." I say making a mental reminder to ask Wesley about it.

"I'll be waiting. Now let's go back to you being bullied and not telling me." She demands.

"I did tell you, just not in detail." I mumble.

"Kenny!" She scolds.

"Okay fine I should have told you but I handled it and it'll definitely stop now." I reassure her.

"Should I talk to mom and dad? I'm sure I can convince them to transfer you back to Oakland." She offers.

Her words take me by surprise. I miss Oakland and all its state of the art facilities, fancy spacious lockers that are easy to get into and people who like and respect me. It would definitely make my life easier if I transferred back there. It's only been two weeks so it's not like I can't catch up. I should say yes. But I find myself saying the complete opposite.

"I'm good."

"Are you sure?"

A week ago I would totally have taken her up on her offer but things are completely different now. "Yes I am. I know it sounds strange since I didn't want to go there in the first place but I want to stay. Pine View is growing on me."

"Are you sure you're not staying because of a certain basketball player with the dreamy eyes and soft hair?" Astrid teases.

He does have really soft hair. I've not done him justice in all the drawings I've made of him. When he allowed me to touch his hair last night, I was in heaven. I expected him to be offended by my request but he surprised me...

"You're thinking about him aren't you?" Astrid asks with a laugh.

"This has nothing to do with Isaiah." I assert pushing all thoughts of him to the back of my head.

"Oh really?"

"Okay maybe just a tiny bit of it but in this past week I've made more friends, I actually like being a tutor and I love my new job which wouldn't have been possible without Pine View." I insist.

Pine View is making me a better person. I'm already academically gifted but interacting with people who lead completely different lives and experiencing a whole new environment is helping me become a better version of myself.

"Okay then if you insist but if anyone gives you any more trouble you let me know and I'll handle it." Astrid demands.

"How?"

"That's for me to know and for you to find out."

Her voice gets scary enough to send chills down my spine. I don't want to think about what she would do. She once punched a guy for making fun of my pigtails when I was in middle school so I decide to agree for the sake of peace.

"Fine."

"Thank you but also remember to be careful Kenny. Young love is as beautiful as it is dangerous." She advices.