251: Behind The Black Horizon

Start from the beginning

"I don't want them dead!"

"If you're such a perfect match for him – "

"Drown in rat poison," Kol spat.

"I have done nothing!" Finn pulled at his hair, trembling, "Other than beg to leave this calamity!"

MJ's expression was dark, staring at the bodies.

"And her spirits have locked me here."

"They killed them," MJ argued, "Because you got loud."

Thinking he could just jump away.

"And if you stay that way? I'll give you a hell of a lot more to scream about."

Finn went to reach, Kol's hand whacking directly into his shoulder to force him back, poised for another fight.

Elijah inhaled slowly, "Leave us."

They all looked at him.

"Finn."

The eldest brother scoffed, storming away with the same ferocity his siblings always carried. The house was so used to its force on the stairs, almost comfortingly familiar to the part of MJ that missed Klaus...

She didn't.

He didn't deserve to be missed by her.

Elijah's expression was curious, "Do you know what caused his return?"

"It wasn't Freya?"

He shook his head.

MJ glanced at Kol, him equally surprised.

"An unknown force weaponised your Nexus Vorti," Elijah shook his head, "Bringing him back, only to bind to his body? It does not make any sense."

Four witches dead.

"It can make sense," MJ was quiet, "If the spirits brought him back? They brought him back as Finn Mikaelson."

Kol's jaw clenched.

"Only to listen to him talk about fleeing?"

"They lock him in," Kol's hands twitched, "Keep him as they want him."

"But why?" Elijah repeated, "They want our family dead. Why add a body to kill?"

"I mean," MJ's brow lifted, "While in Freya's necklace, she could use him to boost her power – he wasn't on the ancestral plane. He was a separate entity of strength."

"Weaken her support so she has to use them," Kol followed, "And create living dissonance so we can't focus on the real issues."

MJ straightened up.

"Darling?"

"If you built something to kill a Mikaelson," She pitched, "How would you test it?"

Stillness.

"Because I used Mikael."

The magic-sucking bullets.

"If I trialled it on Klaus, and it failed?"

"You would have revealed your hand," Elijah finished, "And you would not get a second attempt."

"Plus," She glanced up the stairs, "It's a lot easier to get a hit on a guy who hasn't lived than a hybrid with ten centuries of experience."

Silence.

"And if the test works?" She continued, "The fear that strikes?"

The confidence she'd had that night, talking to Katherine on the bench, knowing she had white oak.