225: The Axeman's Letter

a/n: Pls remember to comment and vote xx Bea
(sorry for the delay on this one, it's a busy few weeks of uni atm)

Summer 1914

Maci Roux sat in the foyer area of her theatre. The backstage was still in progress, but the front was up and running, occasionally open to the public as an events space but mainly for friends. One of the friends was a red-haired witch with pale skin and piercing blue eyes, in training to be a nurse.

Genevieve Brodeur.

Talented with spells, but, more importantly, considered The French Quarter gossip.

"Are you all really that attached to the wolves?" Maci teased, sipping tea.

She wore butterfly sleeves again, though she'd deliberately picked something plainer than usual. Simple light pink, without any embroidery or layers. Just a tuck-in around her chest, loose enough to have stylised seams, pinned to highlight her figure before being allowed to flare out slightly. A sweetheart neckline low cut and taunting, the satin fabric making a silky smooth noise against the fabric of the res chair. Multiple thin rings in her ears connected through one hole.

Compelled help serving the pair with tea in painted cups, treating the opening foyer like a cafe space before it turned into a fully functioning bar for the theatre.

"I miss the days witches were allowed to be just that," Maci was poking for information, "Witches."

Genevieve sipped her drink, "Are we not that?"

"Not with all the appearances Lana makes in coven meetings."

"The elders are doing what they must," Genevieve's eyes held a certain level of naivety, "Lana lost her father."

"To a wolf hunter. Why do witches pay penance for it?"

Genevieve gave her a pointed look.

"Gen?"

"Maci," She leant forward, lowering her voice, "We've all heard the story."

"Have you now?"

"You don't need to protect him."

"Him?" Maci was playing dumb, "Kol?"

All the odd looks and sudden avoidance had been driving Maci's curiosity up the wall, Kol's focus on Mary-Alive and Astrid seeming to blind him to just how the other witches seemed to be avoiding him.

"What has Kol done?"

"You really don't know?"

"I know Marie was a lost soul trying to protect her family," She offered up, "What does Kol have to do with that?"

Genevieve was shaking her head, "Her curse."

Maci sat up, "Curse?"

"The curse the ancestors placed on her," Genevieve nodded, "Because of their affair."

"Affair?" Maci didn't need to pretend to be surprised, "Kol and Marie weren't together."

"Niklaus told Lana they had been."

Maci couldn't help but bark a laugh.

"She performed an advanced spell trying to please him, which is why she lost her magic."

The vampire's tongue poked into her cheek.

"Lana came to us with the information, trying to help," She revealed, "Not wanting any other witches to suffer that fate."