"I've got another meeting; I'll be gone for a little while." My dad's voice cut through the serenity; he seems concentrated with sadness.

A rub on my back made me look up, bending down to my height. "Go on sweetie, I got snacks in the fridge, ok? Then we'll go down to the beach like you like it." She smiles genuinely at me. There it was again, the secrets, there was an itch in my palm, what was so secretive? I nodded before excusing myself I feel them watching me going around to the hall, only to plant my body on the wall at the edge.

Certain I was gone, the whispers began. "Your really going to go through with this? Think of how many people you'll ruin, think of your daughter." Breathy with a hiss, what does she mean hurt? My father's inventions have been nothing more but aid Especially to those in need around the globe.

"This Is a make it or break it and I spent too long making it."

"How will you survive?"

Survive?

"You know nothing of the ocean, you can't be so sure there are more out there. It was probably just a rumor, wasn't it?"

What's a rumor? I'm listening to the conversation and yet couldn't comprehend a word.

"It's out there, in fact they, I know it is. Think of it this way once I discover this it'll be great for Monica, she'll have a fortune to pass down to her children. In fact enough so that my great grandchildren will be profiting."

"Y- your Not thinking of -" I pictured a questionable glare.

"Yes, yes I am" My fathers voice thick and deep. Thinking of what? I leaned it closer.

"She's Only a kid, doesn't she get a say so in her future?"

"Not If it'll make her millions. This Will work."

A momentary silence before she sighed deeply. "You can't disturb the peace that God created and think you will be fine? If it's true what you're saying, then that or those things will never let you leave ... alive."

Alive? my ears perked, is there someone out there that wanted to hurt daddy?

"Humans won't be used as the subject this time or at least not yet, we'll test the technology."

H-humans? I'm human, am I not? at the time the little comprehension I had was the size of a walnut, but the goosebumps that coated my skin were very evident. For the first time, I didn't trust my father.

"Where are you keeping it?"

My foot halted before I could step away, a sudden interest in the answer. Had I left two seconds earlier I would have missed it. Keeping what?

A reluctance from my father before he sighed, "In the basement, behind the drawing."

Drawing? the whispers than got lower leaving me thirsty for more information, eagerly I try to lean in further when the metal back button of my jeans scuffed the popcorn texture of the beige walls, I winced deeply hoping I wasn't heard.

Dead silence, "Uh- we will continue this conversation another day." my father speaks before the door closed. Soft patters than made their way towards my location and I zoomed to the nearest room, if only I stopped to look back to realize it made a dark mark on the wall.

A soft knock on the door, "Monica sweetie?"

I didn't know who I was kidding at the time, my whole body was hidden under the covers in an attempt to be asleep. She giggled, "I guess I have to eat ice cream by myself at the beach today."

"No, me too. I want to go." I flung the blankets off me falling right into the trap. her eyebrows rose in a cocky sense. "Oh, sorry." I got busted, damn my sweet tooth. "I'm sorry Nana, I didn't mean to."