A Heart Undefended

Start from the beginning

We walked through Vardurr without turning a single head. Although the majority of residents seemed to be dark elves, there was the occasional satyr or haregon. Out of the three of us, it was me so seemed the most out of place. Despite standing out so much, I couldn't feel anyone's eyes on me.

The citizens all seemed like they were in their own, little world. Keeping pace with those around us meant nearly running, allowing us to quickly reach the castle towards the back of town. As we had been walking through town, I thought it was odd that we couldn't make out the castle sooner until we arrived. 

Although the tower of the castle stood high above town, the rest of the castle was barely built up. The three of us watched as workers hoisted large panes of colorful glass into their final resting place in the unfinished walls. 

"Ahem..." a gruff voice coughed from behind us.

Oda, Sivero, and I whipped around to see an old haregon in an official looking waistcoat and trousers. His eyes were red and cloudy, but he still squinted in attempt to get a look at us. Our eyes met for a moment, his confusion briefly crossing my mind. 

Unlike the other haregon from town, this rabbit-like had lopped ears that were dark brown at the ends and faded into a smokey brown. His flat face was the same shade of dark brown and faded into the rest of his smokey brown body. 

"Preparations to Count Takuya's new castle are still underway," the haregon explained, "Has news of the castle traveled far?"

"Not to our knowledge, sadly," I admitted, "We were actually looking speaking the Count of Vardurr about some concerning matters."

"Concerning matters?" the haregon gasped, "On what authority?"

"On the authority of the Marquess and Marchioness of Lorshire," I announced firmly. 

"I shall inform the Count of this at once, if you don't mind waiting here for my return" the haregon assured us, "As Courtier of Vardurr, I will ensure he gets this message."

The Courtier ran off swiftly, dodging the crowd. We turned our attention back to the castle that was building in front of us. Some of the workers had taken note of us since the Courtier spoke with us, seemingly taking their best guesses as to why we were here. 

"The Count has requested your appearances... at the local bar..." the Courtier sighed as he walked up, "Please follow me closely."

The haregon slowed his natural walking speed, allowing us to stay directly behind him as we weaved from the street. We were stopped at the entrance of large, wooden and plaster building. The top half of the front wall was lined with wooden, slat windows, allowing the music and merriment inside to be heard in the street. 

The Courtier led us in and shut the sliding door behind us. Tatami mats lined the sides of the bar, sectioned off by heavily embellished paper walls. Along the very edge of the room was flowing water filled with water plants and the occasional koi. 

At the back of the bar, we could make out a stage where a dark elf playing a biwa sang of the tales of fallen soldiers. His rough, rattling voice overpowering all of the conversations going on loudly in the background. 

The Courtier stopped suddenly at the last sectioned room on the right, where a dark elf in gold and blue hakama sat around a round, blanketed table. There were cushions sat all around the table, but the Count of Vardurr sat alone. 

The Count was an older dark elf, but he was still noticeably younger than my father. His blue eyes sat atop a long, grey face. His long hair was pulled back and head in place by a thin, silver crown.  

"Jorah, you didn't tell me that the Marquess' courier was stunning," the Count swooned, "Lord Takuya of Vardurr, at your service."

"Our Lady is already seeing some of her uncle's approval," Oda nearly spat.