Big Brother's Rival

Start from the beginning

"Everyone," a producer wearing all back speaking into a head mic, stood on a chair. Everyone quieted down to look at her. "Auditions are about to begin. If you hear your number called, please follow me down the hallway."

She called out about ten numbers, and I held my breath, trying to see if my number escaped her lips. A huge breath of relief came out when she didn't. All the people called stood up, and followed her down one big hallway.

Soon after, the jumbo tron powered on and began showing footage of the big stage. I recognized it immediately last year.

The purple background. Sleek glossy floors. The glittery judges table. The judges. It all felt so big. So real. This wasn't a place I had imagined.

Nervousness hit me like a rush at once, coating my veins. I swallowed back a gulp.

My mouth dropped when the camera panned onto her. The body the oversized aviator shades and her precisely-cut bob was none other than Fairouz Alkaf. I was in the same building as Fairouz Alkaf! Everyone cheered when they closed up on her.

Next to her was Brian Scott, a record executive of Cosmic Records, a label under Solstice and Fairouz's ex-husband. He had white hair, a gruff beard, with a deadpan gaze into the audience. He looked like a less jolly version of Santa Claus.

The host from last year, Halle Cross, stepped out in a glittery rave dress, waving to the audience. She was this big fashion influencer, smiling into the camera.

"Hello and welcome to the second season of Finding Solstice! This is the show ready to find the next singing sensation!" She said as the audience responded in a loud cheer. Everyone in the waiting room clapped. "This year, we have so much singing talent ready to take their shot at becoming the next global star!

"Fairouz, after the rock sensation Dilemma came out of this show, what are you expecting from the talent coming from this season?"

She cleared her throat. "I want to see someone subversive, someone who breaks out of those cookie-cutter moulds and brings something fresh to the table."

The audience cheered again at her response. Brian nodded in agreement.

Was I typical?

"I see," Halle agreed. "Let's see if the acts of this year can truly bring it to the table, starting right after this break!"

Soon after, Halle disappeared backstage and the stage was prepared for the upcoming act. At least it wasn't me.

I sighed and my shoulders went a little less tense. The waiting room felt hick with competition. The nervousness hit me like oncoming traffic. It was a battleground. I could practically taste the tension in the air. We were all here for the same reason: to subject ourselves to the almighty judges and scrutinising lens of the camera. I glanced down at my number like it was some secret code to survival. Each moment felt like an eternity, like time was playing one cruel joke.

The waiting room was a circus, and I was simply a clown juggling all these thoughts. At least I had early access to the show, right?

It seemed like the break was over because everyone focused as the audience cheered for a blonde girl holding a guitar and a ghostly white smile.

"What is your name?" Fairouz asked with a smile.

"Kristen Taylor," she announced in an accent I was sure was from somewhere in the South of America.

"And where are you from?" she asked.

"Nashville," Kristen said, and some people cheered for her, probably out of hometown solidarity.