Chapter 10

Clarke's POV

I drove the car around a bit to clear my head. Yesterday with Lexa was on my mind. I mean, how could he not? He had felt different and so the same questions kept coming up in my mind that I wanted to pursue and couldn't answer without her. Had something actually changed or was I wrong and it was just me? Could it really be that I had misunderstood yesterday's signs? But what else could be the reason that she opened up to me?

So lost in thought, it was only after a few seconds that I noticed that a police car with blue lights was driving behind me. Instantly I looked for a way to stop, when I found it I stopped, turned off the engine and remained seated. I merely opened the window, afraid of being shot if I got out. Maybe, just maybe, it could be because I watched too many police shows and had too vivid an imagination. 

I heard heavy footsteps coming toward me, my heart was pounding, and I felt like a serious criminal who hid a body in the trunk or had drugs or something else illegal cooked up. 

"Vehicle registration and driver's license." The cop sounded grim and that couldn't be good for me. Uh-oh. Had I accidentally kidnapped someone? Had my car been misappropriated?

Shit, this couldn't be happening! "What's going on officer?" I wanted to know as I picked both out and finally handed them to him with a lowered gaze.

"Clarke?"

"Bellamy?" Only now did I look out the window and see him there with his pad drawn. "What's wrong?"

He just looked at me for a moment and seemed almost embarrassed before continuing to speak matter-of-factly. "You have a broken taillight and you were speeding."

"I didn't know about the broken taillight and was I going way too fast? I didn't see a sign."

"Ten to be exact, the sign was just put up a few days ago, you're not the first to fall into the trap."

"Nothing like this has ever happened to me before." Stunned, I looked at him. I was a criminal. Would something like this be on my record? What would the consequences be? I hoped for a fine and nothing worse. 

Lexa was right, orange didn't suit me. My mind was yelling at me that I wasn't about to go to jail for something like this, but my heart was just too much in fear mode. If I had a bag, I'd be breathing in there right now to keep from hyperventilating even more.

"So it's your first offense?" Still he hadn't made a note of anything and just held my IDs in his hand. 

"Definitely." Easy Clarke, try to stay calm or he'll find you suspicious of your behavior. I could feel my forehead getting wetter and wetter. Oh great. So much for staying inconspicuous.

"Then I'll turn a blind eye today. I haven't written anything down yet, and then that works." He had his dachshund look on, which was easy with his dark brown eyes.

"Thanks." I struggled with myself. It was Bellamy, but he'd just done me a favor, so I owed him. Fucking manners.

"Bellamy?" He had already gone to his car, but turned to me at my words. "How about we have a coffee together as a thank you?"

Beaming, he smiled at me. "I'd love to. If you give me your number, I could call you and we can set up a meeting."

I didn't want to give him my number, I didn't trust him enough for that. Because, I still doubted that a person could change that much. "How long are you on shift? I'm off today and if you want, could we go to Polis Café after your shift?"

We agreed on a time and I drove straight to a garage. My car had to stay there overnight and I would not be able to pick it up until the next day at the earliest, if the taillights could be repaired by then. So I walked to the police headquarters.