28| Lauda

A. Devereaux

The lights flashed red.

5.....

4....

3...

2..

1.

GO!

As soon as all the lights turned green, I accelerated. Going into turn 1, I remembered qualifying and how terrible I did. Still, for the briefest of moments I closed my eyes and remembered my grandfather.

He braved everything. I can do that too. I am my own driver but I will bring a legacy till the day I die. His talent courses through me and I use it in my own.

I let my hands guide me, remembering how the track was like, how many seconds it took. I gripped the steering wheel even harder, conquering my fear. When I opened my eyes, I saw success.

Riccardo: WELL DONE ARTEMIS! You've gained 10 places in just turn one! Well strategised! Just keep the pace on the straight.

Riccardo: Careful with the debris, there's been a crash between Piastri and Verstappen that also took out Ocon and Guanyu.

Artemis: Jesus, are they okay?

Riccardo: Hold on for a moment.

....

....

....

Riccardo: All of them are okay, now focus on the race.

Artemis: WOOHOOOO!! Fuck! Would you believe I was closing my eyes the entire turn?

Riccardo: Artemis, don't do that again.

Artemis: Can't make any promises. Who's in front of me?

Riccardo: Albon with the Williams car in front of you but he's having issues with his brake so that's an easy overtake.

Artemis: Copy.

Just as Riccardo advised, Albon had trouble in the second turn so he turned wide which allowed me to easily overtake on the inside. Fuck yes.

Lap 2 came in and I was beginning to struggle. The words I saw on social media were beginning to get to me again. God, I didn't realise I was so undesirable cause I was shaped like a door...or that I was too cocky and needed to learn my place in the sport.

Fuck it. Fuck them. They don't know who I am and I won't let them get to me. They don't deserve to see me suffer. All they can do is sit behind a computer or type on their phone but they're not the ones sweating their ass off in this car.

It's my time. It's my fucking time.

It's my time to show my talent and not let anyone's fucking penis get in the way.

Riccardo: Alright Artemis, you're doing great. You are 3 seconds behind Bottas.

Artemis: Okay, I'll push on the straights.

Watching my limit, I pushed on the straights after turn 3, feeling the track become mine. Just as I was about to overtake Valterri from the outside, he swerved suddenly and we made light contact.

Artemis: WHAT THE HELL?! Why'd he do that?!

Riccardo: Artemis, you can't afford to be aggressive right now. Just find the space, he'll have no choice to give it to you once you find it.