23| Braking Point

C. Leclerc

Artemis hasn't talked to me since qualifying. The last time I saw her, Carlos was talking to her and from then on she just avoided me like the plague. She did reply to my texts but they were so dry that it made me wonder if she even liked me.

I stared at my phone and the more I stared, the sadder I got

I stared at my phone and the more I stared, the sadder I got. She's being cold to me but I didn't want to push her boundaries. But I missed her, so maybe I'll just cross it this once.

I left my room in haste, and went to hers. It wasn't too far, it was right next to mine. Immediately, I knocked and called for her, "Artemis, it's me."

Still no answer. I kept knocking and knocking and finally she answered. Her eyes were fresh with tears and I couldn't help but ask, "Artemis, what's wrong? Princess, just let me in."

Artemis just shook her head and barely croaked out, "Please Charles, I just need time alone. Please."

Slowly, she shut the door on me and I didn't fight her. Why was she beating herself up for it? The qualifying was bad, but I'm glad that she's safe.

I took a deep breath and gave her the space she wanted. I couldn't push her too much, I don't want to put the wrong foot down and push her even further. I was still getting to know her, and I didn't want her closing up again. Fuck, why is it so hard when it should be easy.

___

A. Devereaux

I don't know who to talk to. I can't talk to Jasmine because she' hanging out with Lando and I can't even talk to Lando because somehow, I know the information will slip to Charles.

Times like this made me wish I'd invested in friendships. I stared at my phone as I wiped away my tears. Even if I had doubts in my mind, I hate pushing Charles away but...it was for my own benefit. At the end of the day, I was still new to the sport and I have to prove a lot. Fred took a gamble by signing me on, and he probably did as well for Jasmine.

I want to open a world for women in this field of motorsports. I want to show them that it can be done by us too. We can win just as well.

Fuck, I can't crumble. Not right now.

I close my eyes and remember my grandfather again.

"I'm sorry grandad, I messed up that turn and lost the karting race again," I moped as I kicked a rock in frustration.

My grandfather sat down on the ground and patted the empty spot next to him, gesturing for me to sit next to him. "Artemis, if you you're not making mistakes, you're not pushing yourself far enough. The more mistakes you make, the more you learn."

I opened my eyes again and realise that he wasn't sitting next to me anymore. My heart felt heavy again as I reminded myself that he wouldn't be sitting next to me any time soon.