Chapter 99 - Returning to the Surface

Start from the beginning

"I see. Did she mention any plans as to how she would mount an attack?"

Before Jack could reply, the sound of the hatch popping open traveled to Viviane's ears, drawing their attention inadvertently. The two of them looked up, watching as Riku and Sakura finished ascending the ladder safely.

"Looks like it's time for us to go," Medrauta held a hand out toward Viviane.

"Yeah." Viviane nodded. "Thank you for your help, mister Jack. Perhaps we shall meet again when Dame Marilyn decides to strike."

Jack smiled dryly. "Yes. Perhaps. I suppose I don't need to say this seeing as you've got your knight guarding you somethin' fierce, but safe travels."

With that, Viviane bid farewell to Jack with a curtsy. Though the gesture would normally appear somewhat awkward by the fact that she wasn't exactly wearing a dress or even a skirt, Viviane still managed to make it seem as elegant and natural as ever.

After Viviane began climbing the ladder, Medrauta quickly followed suit once she'd seen her lady make it to the top. As the knight pulled herself free from the underground and returned to the surface, the group all peered down the hatch once more to wave Jack a final farewell.

As Jack departed, Medrauta slammed the hatch shut, sealing the way to the underground and turning her attention to the horizon. The sun was already halfway swallowed, but their walk back to the carriage shouldn't take too long provided they weren't obstructed.

Thankfully, there weren't many people outdoors in Orinth at this time of day. Those who were more accustomed to the criminal nightlife deemed it too early to begin their activities, and those who were simply downtrodden civilians forced to live in this dismal excuse for a town had long retreated into their shelters in preparation for the coming night.

The unsavory individuals that they did pass by gave them a wide berth. Though some of them had thought of approaching the group after seeing Sakura's sickly figure, Medrauta's razor sharp gaze quickly excised such foolish desires before they could be acted upon.

The one worry that remained in Medrauta's heart as they walked was the possibility that their carriage might have been happened upon by a patrol made up of Bastiche's men. Though the coachman was a soldier, he would no doubt fall against several of the duchy's guardsmen if they chose to attack.

Sensing her knight's unease, Viviane squeezed her beloved knight's hand gently, flashing Medrauta a bright grin as she turned to face Viviane. It wasn't exactly difficult for the noblewoman to notice the tension that Medrauta's face betrayed, but the knight appreciated her lady's attentiveness nevertheless.

"Thank Aluvsha..." Medrauta let out a sigh of relief as she sighted the carriage in the distance as well as the coachman sitting alert and ready to move at the slightest hint of danger. The moment she caught the coachman's attention and waved to one another, it felt as if a great burden had been lifted from her shoulders.

"Lady Viviane, Dame Medrauta! It looks like you've been successful in recovering the foreign dignitaries," the coachman smiled in relief. "I was beginning to worry you wouldn't return even after the sun had set."

"Believe me, I was a lot more worried about that than you," Medrauta laughed. "Our next destination is Helfried. Can we make it there before the next sunrise?"

"Helfried?" The coachman raised his eyebrows, surprised. "Were we not supposed to confirm the contents of Lord Bastiche's official statement?"

Medrauta shook her head, jerking her thumb toward Sakura's direction. The foreign lady was currently being helped into the carriage by Viviane and Riku. She looked comparably better now that they were outside the town of Orinth and surrounded by greenery, but she still hadn't recovered the strength needed to support herself.