Chapter 48 - The Missing Prince

Medrauta squeezed Viviane's hand gently, drawing her attention.

"It seems the final song is about to begin. Shall we dance?"

Viviane nodded, a smile gracing her delicate lips. Her father had excused himself a few minutes ago, hurrying to undertake the mission that the princess had tasked him.

While she lamented the brevity of their reunion, she certainly wasn't opposed to spending a bit more time with Medrauta alone.

Viviane turned to her knight as the two made their way down the mezzanine. "By the way, what were you and Lady Sakura talking about earlier?"

Medrauta was about to answer when she noticed a pink frenzy of motion rather uncharacteristically barreling towards them at top speed. "I'll fill you in on the details later."

"Medrauta! Lady Viviane!" Princess Gwenhwyfar called out to them. "Please wait!" Her chest heaved as she slowed next to them, barely managing to stop without crashing into Medrauta.

The silver-haired knight raised an eyebrow. "You're certainly in a hurry. Something the matter?"

"I must ask you for a favor, Medrauta," the princess said as she caught her breath. "It is of the utmost import and—"

"You dare ask me for a favor?" Medrauta almost laughed at the absurdity. "Make no mistake, Gwenhwyfar. Viviane seems to have forgiven you, but the searing heat I experienced that day still burns hot against my back. I have been cordial because you are the princess and you are the one who helped me become a squire, but that is all."

Gwenhwyfar grit her teeth. While she wasn't used to being addressed with such callous speech, she understood Medrauta's sentiment quite well. She clasped her hands against her navel and lowered her head in a deep bow, drawing gasps from those who watched from afar. "...I apologize. It was excessive to maintain the attack until Lady Viviane agreed to surrender."

"I do not accept your apology."

"M-Medrauta!" Viviane exclaimed, tugging on her knight's arm with a worried expression. While it was true that her first impression of Gwenhwyfar had been downright horrible, Viviane wasn't the type to hold grudges, especially not when the princess herself was lowering her head.

"I am a knight." Medrauta declared, her voice ringing with pride. "Protecting my lady is the reason I draw breath. I hold no grudges against you for attacking me."

Gwenhwyfar looked up in shock. "I beg your pardon!? D-Did you not just say—"

"Indeed. The heat does not remind me of the pain I experienced that day, Gwenhwyfar. It reminds me of how you dared aim such an attack at my lady."

"...I see." Gwenhwyfar felt a pang of sadness in her heart as she truly understood the depth of Medrauta's feelings for Viviane. She turned to Viviane now, clasping her hands above her navel once more and bowing for the second time that night.

"Lady Viviane, I apologize for the excessive attack I directed at you during both our first and second matches. I hope that you can find it in your heart to forgive me."

"W-Wha!? Um, I... Y-You don't really need to apologize, Your Imperial Highness! It was a match! E-Everyone knows you're supposed to go all out, ahaha! And besides, it's all water under the bridge now!"

"Hmph. Are you really going to forgive her that easily, Viviane?" Medrauta asked, crossing her arms.

"Medrauta! Stop it! Can't you see she's being sincere!?"

"Hm... I just can't forgive someone who would dare attempt to singe even a strand of your beautiful hair, my lady." Medrauta said as she ran her fingers through Viviane's golden locks.