Chapter 35 - Together As One

The air filled with a tumultuous mixture of sparks and steel.

Galahad's eyes were wide with bewilderment as Medrauta continued to press the attack, her advance unfettered and undaunted despite his best attempts to push her back.

Without the defensive support that the Ignis Fatui provided him, he was just another knight. Of course, Galahad was an exceptional swordsman, but to Medrauta he was only one of many.

How!? How is a noble shooting so accurately!? Galahad parried Medrauta's latest attack desperately. He had been forced into fighting defensively, waiting for the Ignis Fatui to regenerate only to have them instantly dispersed by a precise barrage from Viviane.

He grunted as Medrauta got the better of him in the bind, allowing her to leverage the longsword's superior mobility and issue a powerful thrust that pierced his upper arm.

While Gwenhwyfar's Crest was undoubtedly one of the most powerful in the empire, its large assortment of abilities primarily depended on the manipulation of the Ignis Fatui.

Because of their maneuverability and number, even an incredibly quick knight like Medrauta could only disperse at most three while also dealing with Galahad before they began to regenerate, allowing at least one blade to always be present for the princess' use.

But Viviane was unhampered by Galahad, and the speed at which she shot was bewildering. While the blades hovered around the prince, they did not move as fast as him, nor were they protected by heavy suits of armor. They were blades of bright flame, large and captivating.

And that made them perfect targets for someone of Viviane's prodigal skill.

While she still wasn't capable of firing multiple arrows simultaneously like Sakura, Viviane's shooting speed was more than enough to keep up with the regeneration cycle of the Ignis Fatui, and with each arrow that leapt from her bow, the princess grew a little more desperate.

"Galahad!" Gwenhwyfar shouted. "Pull back! We're going to have to use that!"

"W-What!?"

"There's no choice! Or will you be the first to lose against a knight who bears no Crest!?"

If the shock hadn't been evident in Galahad's voice, it now showed clearly on his face. Even so, he grimaced and retreated, acting on his lady's command.

Sensing the imminent danger, Medrauta gave chase, not willing to permit Galahad the space he needed for the devastating attack that was sure to come. She had no doubts that the princess was attempting to fire that deadly beam once more.

The distance from the center of the arena to the dais that Gwenhwyfar stood upon was vast, yet the two knights crossed it with speed that was nothing short of breathtaking. As Viviane struggled to maintain the optimal proximity to her knight that Sakura had taught her, she quickly realized why the nobles of Higashi had chosen the art of archery.

Had it not been for the ki enhancing her muscles, Viviane never would have managed to close the distance in a timely fashion. Even so, she never let up on her storm of arrows, firing rapidly and accurately with every step she took.

Each arrow that hit its mark caused her confidence to surge as the thrill of battle washed over her. This time, she wasn't just standing behind Medrauta, watching her knight's back while doing nothing but hoping for the best.

With my own hands, I'll bring you back to my side, Medrauta! Viviane smiled despite the gravity of the situation. She was finally fulfilling her dream of fighting by Medrauta's side. This is how it should be! Just like our first match together! A noble's place... is right beside her knight!