Chapter 69 - Doubt

"I'd like to speak with Rosie privately, please."

Despite expressing her desire to kick Medrauta's ass in quite the loud manner just seconds ago, Leticia's first request when she returned to the room was rather soft-spoken.

Though her eyes had been filled with a strange amalgamation of frustration and determination when she was staring up at Medrauta who had been peering down at her through the very window that she was dropped from, Leticia's gaze now bore nothing more than apprehension and what Medrauta recognized as fear.

Medrauta crossed her arms, assuming an almost defiant stance as she frowned at Leticia. "...You're not going to start falling back into that spiral of depression, are you?"

Leticia shook her head wordlessly, but the anxious look in her eyes still remained.

"...Medrauta," Viviane looked up at her knight in concern. She wasn't sure what had driven Medrauta to become so rude and callous, but she knew she couldn't let this sort of behavior continue. Holding a blade to Lady Rosaline's neck and throwing Dame Leticia out the window... Just what has gotten into her!?

"Yes, Viviane?"

"Let's give them some time, alright? Surely there are a few things they wish to share only between themselves."

A conflicted look flickered across Medrauta's face. It was clear that she didn't want to allow Leticia out of her sight, but at the same time, she simply couldn't bring herself to defy Viviane's earnest request. In the end, she had no choice but to capitulate to her beloved lady's demands.

The door behind them closed with a soft 'click', and Rosaline turned to Leticia with teary eyes. She held a cloth to her neck, and though the wound was only skin deep, the cloth was already stained a bright red.

At once, Leticia knelt, her voice filled only with regret. "...I have failed you, Lady Rosaline. I will accept any punishment you deem fitting."

Rosaline shook her head, kneeling to meet eyes with her knight. The cloth she held dropped to the floor as she placed both hands on Leticia's shoulders and pushed the knight backward ever so slightly, forcing her to look up.

"...Then forgive me for acting at my leisure," Rosaline murmured. There was so much that Rosaline wanted to say to her knight, but it was impossible for her to put everything into words. Frustration, grief, relief... and love. There was only one way she could express everything in a single action.

After taking a deep breath, Rosaline leaned forward and pressed her lips firmly against Leticia's before the knight could even react. She would never let Leticia go again.

Though Leticia made to pull away at first, she found that all her strength was worthless in the sweet embrace of her lady. Met with no other choice, the knight followed her beloved's display of affection, returning Rosaline's kiss tentatively despite her initial apprehension.

...How...? Leticia thought as they finally broke from the embrace. She stared deep into Rosaline's eyes, taking in all the hurt and grief that the noblewoman had gone through ever since the attack on the academy. But even in that abyss of pain, there existed an overpowering light of love that dwarfed its darkness.

I left you alone to suffer for so long... Yet how can you still look at me like that, Rosie? How can you still long for my love...?

"...You're still bleeding, my lady."

"...I know."

Rosaline could feel her blood seep into the shoulder of her dress, but she paid it no mind. She leaned forward, embracing Leticia once more, hungry for the touch of her beloved knight. She had missed Leticia so greatly that even if Medrauta's blade had truly bitten deeper, the pain would be negligible compared to how she felt without Leticia by her side.