Chapter 75 - Rosaline's Crest

"Haah... In the end, I still lost."

"Maybe so, but your blade did reach me." Medrauta said as she sat still on a large piece of debris that used to be part of the academy building.

After the duel, the two knights and their noblewomen had migrated to the academy's still-ruined garden. As an area that served no other functions than to improve the appearance of the campus grounds and serve as a location for recreational activities, cleaning it up was quite low on the priority list.

While not exactly the most aesthetic location on the campus anymore, the garden still possessed a unique charm thanks to the various pieces of littered stone and metal competing with the resilient flora that still clung on to life. However, that charm still served as a grim reminder of the witch's attack, making most students steer clear from the area.

In other words, it was an isolated location where Rosaline could unveil the full power of her Crest and mend the wounds of the two knights.

"Please do not speak of this with anyone else," Rosaline said with a shaky voice. Despite being surrounded by friends, she still wasn't very confident about revealing the true extent of her Crest's abilities.

Leticia gave her lady's hand a gentle squeeze. "It'll be alright, Rosie. Lady Viviane and Medrauta know the importance of secrecy, isn't that right?"

Viviane nodded. "O-Of course! I'd never do anything to trouble Lady Rosaline!"

Medrauta simply shrugged. "I already have a general idea of what it is, especially since Lady Rosaline's actin' so nervous about it. There's really only one ability that can do everything she usually does in matches and produce an effect similar to healing."

Rosaline pursed her lips, unsure of what to say. It was true that her ability was pretty easy to guess once it was seen, but she'd done a fairly good job of hiding it up until now. I'm sure she already knows, so there's no point in waiting any longer, is there...?

The noblewoman let out a sigh before gathering her courage. "Alright. Dame Medrauta, please hold still. We'll treat you first."

"Sure thing," Medrauta said as she pulled off her breastplate to allow for easier access to her wounds. The place where Leticia's sword had stabbed her was still open and bleeding, causing Medrauta to wince as she moved. "Damn. Looks like I was the only one who stopped shallow."

"S-Sorry!" Leticia blurted out as she approached Medrauta after receiving Rosaline's Crest.

Medrauta shook her head. "It's fine. Not like I haven't been stabbed before. Besides, I nearly did you in."

The ghost of a smile touched Leticia's lips as her hands hovered over Medrauta's largest wound, causing it to slowly knit together. "Yeah, that's for sure..."

The end of their duel had been undoubtedly close.

Medrauta and Leticia had charged at each other with blinding speed, both knowing that only one of them could emerge as the victor. They had called upon every vestige of their true selves. Their dreams, their aspirations, their loves, and even their fears.

The knights had infused everything that they amounted to within their blade and forged it into an unparalleled attack that was unique only to them, achieving the pinnacle of swordsmanship.

Yet, when two heavens collided, only one remained at the end.

Leticia's blade had been that of a knight's. It thrust straight and true, aimed directly at Medrauta's center mass. Its shining steel conveyed the resolve behind her thrust and the straight line that it traveled spoke of the future that she desired with Rosaline.