"Is that normal? I mean, does... you know... exertion make everything calm down faster?"

His grin had me rethinking how urgent the whole fugitive-catching thing really was. "None of this is normal. I have no basis for comparison. I've never healed people on the scale that I did that night, and I've never indebted myself to a devastatingly gorgeous human who makes adorable chipmunk noises when she's excited." He deftly dodged the kick that I aimed at him. "It stands to reason, then, that I've never been ordered by said bond holder to pleasure her for days on end, whilst simultaneously bringing down a record-breaking snowfall to excuse her absence from work."

"I did not order you to pleasure me."

He handed me one of the full mugs. "You can if you want, though. I'd be a slave to your whim."

In a great wave, everything he felt, his amusement, his fear, his devotion, his concern, his desire all riding on a sea of love, threatened to drown me. I reached for my coffee, trembling, and he laid his hand over mine. "I almost had everything calmed down for a bit. I lost it for a moment. I'll be more careful."

I chewed on my lip. "I don't want you to have to be careful all the time."

The muscle in his jaw flexed. "It's how it's always been. You can't change that. It's okay. I promise." He tapped the file. "Now you know about the sugar. What else have you got?"

Okay. We're working. If we're going to make this work, we have to be able to work, so I need to do my work. I blinked, trying to sort that out. It all sounded like a lot of work.

"Nowicki?"

I looked up at him.

His eyebrow arched upward.

"Crocotta."

Nick groaned. "James Smith. I knew I shouldn't have written his bond."

"I mean, his charges are for unauthorized feeding. It's just about the most common crime there is." Not to mention one that Nick himself was guilty of. I was smart enough not to bring that up.

"He uses the internet to find his victims. He selects his victims based on their politics."

"Their politics?" The cheese had a fabulous bite to it that spread over my tongue.

"Yup. He trolls around on news sites and message boards looking for the people who are most outspoken in favor of the other candidate. Then he consumes their soul and leaves them a lifeless, uncaring shell, unlikely to vote at all."

I reached for another slice of cheese. "You should try this. It's delicious. Which side is he on?"

"Does it really matter?" Nick nibbled a piece of cheese. "He's eating human souls."

"I'm just curious."

"I don't know. If you catch him, you can ask him. Governments rise. Governments fall. I stopped paying close attention quite a long time ago."

The urge to argue about the importance of politics welled up in me, inspired by two and a half decades of being told by family, teachers, and PSAs that my vote mattered. Then I remembered he believed he started World War One and thought maybe politics wasn't the best thing for us to chat about. Besides, he was right. For the purposes of catching the crocotta, it didn't matter. "I read that he can mimic a person's voice."

"Yup. He'll find out where his victims are, go there, lure them to a private place through mimicry, and then enjoy his little snack."

Words came from some dark corner of my brain and popped right out of my mouth. "Sloughs eat souls."

His gaze snapped to me. "There are rules for every creature, Nowicki. It's how we keep the balance."

"Right. Sor—" Nope. "Got it. So, if I'm understanding correctly, he's got no big powers beyond the obvious. He's not super fast or strong. He can't transform into a hippo. He's just a mimic."

"The best mimic you can imagine," he said. "Don't let your guard down for a second. That's how bounty hunters die."

Could I wish for some kind of super bounty hunting skill? Was that something he could grant? Would I want it if he could? Would it change who I am? Similar questions had been skittering across my brain like creepy little spiders for the past twenty-four hours or so. People who think they'd enjoy having their own personal genie haven't given real thought to the complexity of wishing and magical consequences.

"You're frowning."

I snapped back to reality and found Nick studying me like a science experiment. "I was just thinking."

"About crocotta?"

Dodging a question with a question was becoming something of a habit. "Do you think I might benefit from being more like Benji?"

His eyes narrowed.

"She's a pretty fantastic bounty hunter," I said, lest I betray my jealousy over her perfect breasts and flawless complexion. My phone chimed, and I jumped at the distraction.

I've been typing and deleting texts for three days, Chantelle wrote. In the end, I really only have one question.

I showed Nick. "I sent her to Drake for answers. They didn't feel like my answers to give."

"Knowing puts her in danger."

"She's a cop, Nick. Not knowing puts her in danger."

He rubbed the backs of his fingers over the whiskers on his chin and said nothing.

I turned the phone back toward myself. Go on, I texted.

Nick rose and busied himself in the kitchen again.

Are you safe with him?

I watched Nick watching me and basked in the radiating warmth of his feelings. Memories of all we'd done in the past two days brought a flood of heat to my cheeks and sent a tingle of desire through my core. If she'd asked me if the world was safe from Nick, I wouldn't have known how to answer, but me? Personally? Yes. I'm safe with him.

I lied. Two questions.

Of course there was more than one. Go on, I said again.

Do you love him?

Nicolai Adamos, the man who could crush the world at will, wiped my kitchen counter with a soapy rag.

When a butterfly flaps its wings in a midwestern girl's stomach, did it cause a hurricane on the other side of the world?

Yes.