Chapter 23.-Choices are made

Mary didn't see Billy again after school, she was afraid something bad might have happened to him, or he ran away again when he had stopped.

The strange thing is that everything was going well in the morning. They both talked with their siblings and parents during breakfast, then they parted ways when they had to leave the little ones at school and they went to high school with Pedro and Freddy, Billy Batson was an exemplary student and that was reflected in his excellent grades, besides that he participated in class and was attentive to the teachers, maybe he wasn't the most popular guy like his identical twin, but he had friends and a girlfriend who loved him.

Billy felt that wasn't enough, however, and what Jonah had told him had broken his heart into a million pieces.

"Excuse me, have you seen my brother?" Mary asked Mr. Chesterfield, the concierge, that after the traumatizing event that she had to witness in her closet, she ended up going to therapy. Right now, he was cleaning the empty classroom.

"He's in the gym, Miss Bromfield," Mr. Chesterfield explained. "Poor kid, he looked sad. He had red, swollen eyes and a red nose just like Rudolph the reindeer. I'd never seen him cry before"

"Thank you so much" Mary said with a polite smile and left the room to let the janitor work.

Before long, Mary walked into the gym to find a shirtless Billy Batson furiously punching a punching bag, his hands covered in boxing gloves and wearing shorts and some sneakers.

"Billy, where were you? I've been looking everywhere for you" said Mary.

"Well, you found me," Billy said without a hint of humor. "Now is not a good time sis, as you can see I'm occupied so..."

"What I see is that if you keep hitting that punching bag so hard you can break your hand" said Mary approaching her brother, but he ignored her and kept hitting the punching bag. "Billy, stop"

"I'm imagining that this punching bag is Jonah's face so I don't care if I hurt my hand" Billy replied without looking at his sister as he punched the bag harder.

"You and Jonah technically have the same face so it's like you punched yourself" Mary said walking towards him, she got behind the punching bag and stopped him. "Billy, we need to talk"

"Leave me alone Mary" Billy said, punching.

"I'm not going to leave you, I need to know what happened, the janitor saw you crying and said you ran away" Mary said, Billy on the other hand hit harder. "Are you listening? Billy Batson!"

"What?!" Billy snaps at her sister as he stops punching the bag and staring at her.

If Mary were another girl she would be distracted by Billy's bare chest and pecs, but in this case it was her younger brother so that made it less important, what she wanted was to talk to him about what happened.

"Just tell me what happened? I had never seen you so upset, not even when Eugene found your mom, and why do you want to hit your identical twin?" Mary wanted to know. "Billy, just talk to me. I'm your sister"

"Is a lie!" Billy yelled furiously. "You are not my siblings, nor are Victor or Rosa my parents" Mary backed away, startled, Billy had never yelled at her. "I'm nothing!"

"What are you talking about Billy? Who told you that?" Mary said.

"Don't you get it Mary? I'm not good enough!" Billy screamed tearfully. "I ran away from foster homes, Victor and Rosa took me in because they had no choice anymore, Marilyn and CC never wanted me. I don't even understand why the hell the wizard chose me as his champion. I shouldn't have come here to begin with, I should've stayed in Philadelphia "