𝐀𝐤𝐢𝐧

From above, or perhaps from a overhead drone's perspective. The village Oko-Agbon area, in the infamous Makoko floating slum, doesn't look quite so bad.

Small wooden shacks on stilts rest floating on top of stained, dark waters.

Residents excitingly communicate to each other from canoes, and shacks calling out to neighbors and friends. It is a loud community. Some tourist have even fancifully described it as the Venice of Africa.

However, if you look closer, it is an entirely different scenario.

The water is full of all kinds of household rubbish, including needles and human waste. There is also a suffocating smell of rotten fish which is always hanging in the air.

 There is also a suffocating smell of rotten fish which is always hanging in the air

A local villager, named Akin lives in Lagos, Nigeria with his wife and sons

Thousands of people live and exist here in close quarters and there is little to no privacy.

Fisherman Akin moved here several years ago, after being evicted from Yaba, another waterfront community about 3.0 km (16 minutes) away by road.

He has been living with his loving wife Chiasoka and his sons, in a small hut that is used for drying fish. The shed belongs to a local company and he works there to pay his rent. He has lived there for five years now and has not been able to find any place else to live.

Since they were all evicted, it hasn't been easy for the families to live or even exist.

Akin: "Wife, you know that I used to be a special opps soldier, but that was years ago. We now have four children of school age, but I can't afford their fees and we can't afford to feed them, so I've had to sell three of them to a local family."

So I'm hoping to earn enough money by pirating to buy them back.

"Only one of my sons lives here with us now."

𝐀𝐤𝐢𝐧

Chiasoka, our village was only destroyed to make way for a new Chinese luxury resort development: We and other residents of Yaba, Nigeria were violently evicted in 2018 after a greedy neighboring community, who wanted their land, sent the police t...

Chiasoka, our village was only destroyed to make way for a new Chinese luxury resort development: We and other residents of Yaba, Nigeria were violently evicted in 2018 after a greedy neighboring community, who wanted their land, sent the police to kick everybody out.