Chapter Seventeen.

''It's all about family''.

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN :

Gwen felt pretty nervous about what she was about to do. To be completely honest, she wasn't sure Miles could look at her the same way anymore, but he had forgiven her, and for that, at least, she was thankful.

But, it still felt pretty out-of-the-blue when Miles had announced that he was going to confront his parents, and he wanted to take Gwen with him, his logic being that she was Miles's only friend whom his parents knew about.

''Are you sure about this?'', she asked him, as they swung through Brooklyn of Earth-1610. Gwen was glad it hadn't been destroyed. His universe was a calm point in Gwen's chaotic life, a place she could think and relax, all the while being accompanied by her best friend.

He chuckled, ''Why are you worrying so much? I swear, they won't kill you or anything''.

''I was the last person they saw you with before you went missing. And, I did talk to them and promise to bring you back''.

''Alright, maybe they might be a little mad,'' Miles said, dodging to avoid face-planting into the window of a company tower, ''but, they'll be happy for my return, right?''

Gwen shook her head, ''Whatever you say, Spiderboy''.

Miles looked at her. ''Spiderboy? I quite liked Kid Arachnid''.

''No, it's Spiderboy. Kid Arachnid's too long. Plus, it makes you sound like a gang member''.

''In a matter of speaking, I am, technically, part of a gang,'' he bumped his shoulder against hers, ''fine. Spiderboy it is''.

Gwen blushed at the shoulder bump, and was thankful her mask concealed her red face. She hadn't confessed her feelings to Miles yet, but thought she should probably do it. She'd been scared about admitting that she had a crush on Miles, but now the more she thought about it, the more determined she was to tell him. 

After all, why not? If Gwen wanted to spend the rest of her life with someone, Miles Morales was the one she wanted. Whatever it took, she would tell him how she felt, and hopefully, he would like her back. But, she still felt uneasy, occasionally glancing over at the red and black striped hero, swinging alongside her.

She had, for the first time, seen a different side to her friend. A side that was dark, cruel, ruthless and terribly dangerous. A side that could appear with the slightest provocation. 

The amount of anger and hatred Miles had been carrying had surprised Gwen. On the outside, Miles seemed like a teddy bear. Harmless and an incredible hugger.

She promised herself that she would never have a reason to anger Miles so badly. 

A few minutes later, they arrived at his home. They took the normal entrance, removing their suits in the lobby bathroom, Miles emerging with his Brooklyn 42 jersey, baggy cream-colored pants and his signature red and white Air Jordan's and Gwen coming out wearing a light blue hoodie, light trousers and her blue Chuck Taylor's.