9: Wrong Number

y/n sat on her bed, clutching her phone tightly as she reviewed her notes for her upcoming physics assignment. She desperately needed some reassurance before submitting her work so, with a deep breath, she dialed what she believed was their classmate's number.

"Hey, did you finish that crazy assignment about quantum physics?" y/n asked.

On the other end of the line, a deep voice responded, "Well, I could tell you all about quantum physics, but I'm afraid you've got the wrong number!"

y/n laughed, caught off guard by the unexpected response. "Oh, really? I thought I dialed the right number. My bad!"

The voice chuckled softly. "No worries, happens to the best of us. But hey, I'm curious now. What's this assignment about quantum physics?"

y/n hesitated for a moment, surprised by the stranger's interest. "Well, it's all about the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and how they apply to the behavior of particles and energy. It's pretty mind-bending stuff!"

The voice sounded intrigued. "Wow, that sounds fascinating! Mind sharing some of the mind-bending concepts you've come across?"

y/n couldn't help but smile at the unexpected turn of events. "Sure! Let's see... have you ever heard of Schrödinger's cat?"

The conversation continued, with y/n enthusiastically explaining various concepts and the voice on the other end, genuinely interested. For a second, she forgot the fact that she was talking to a random stranger. It wasn't until she reached a particularly complex topic that y/n paused, realizing something was off.

"Wait a minute... you're not my friend, are you?"

The voice let out a hearty laugh. "Nope, definitely not your friend. Just a random person who accidentally picked up your call. But hey, thanks for the impromptu quantum physics lesson! It was fun talking to you."

y/n laughed along, feeling a mix of amusement and embarrassment. "Likewise! It's been great chatting with you. Do you want to keep talking? I'm enjoying our conversation."

The voice sounded pleasantly surprised. "Sure, why not? I'm up for more conversation. What else would you like to talk about?"

y/n grinned, excited to continue the unexpected connection. "How about we discuss some mind-bending theories in cosmology? Like the concept of parallel universes?"

The voice playfully interrupted, "Oh no, not more academics! I can't handle it!" They both burst into laughter.

y/n joined in, realizing they were on the same wavelength. "Haha, just kidding! Let's switch gears then. How about we introduce ourselves? I'm y/n, by the way."

The voice replied, "Nice to meet you, y/n! I'm Tom. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance. So, tell me, what else do you enjoy..besides quantum physics?"

y/n smiled and replied, "Great to meet you, Tom! Besides quantum physics, I love exploring nature, hiking, and capturing beautiful moments with my camera. How about you?"

Tom chuckled and said, "Well, I'm a big fan of music. I play the guitar and love discovering new bands. I also enjoy cooking and experimenting with different recipes. Oh, and I can't resist a good sci-fi movie!"

y/n nodded in agreement. "That's awesome! Music, cooking, and sci-fi movies..We have some common interests. Have you ever tried combining your love for cooking with sci-fi themes? Like making alien-inspired dishes?"

Tom laughed, "You know what, I haven't thought of that before, but it sounds like a fun idea! Maybe I should give it a try."

The conversation continued as y/n and Tom exchanged ideas and laughed about their imaginative culinary endeavors.

y/n glanced at the time and realized she should probably get back to her assignment. She jokingly said, "Oops, I better get back to reality. I'll give my friend a call to double-check the correct number. Haha!"

Tom chuckled and replied, "Good luck with your assignment, y/n! Thanks for the fun conversation. Take care and talk to you soon!"

y/n smiled and said, "Thanks, Tom! It was great talking to you. Have a fantastic day! I'll give you a call tomorrow, for sure!"

With that, y/n ends the call, looking forward to more engaging conversations with him in the future.