chapter 1: this is only the beginning

SEX, MONEY, DRINKING, AND DRUGS

SEX, MONEY, DRINKING, AND DRUGS. These were just a few of the many different things happening as loud music blasted through the speakers of Ace Montgomery's home. A welcome home party was being held for him as he had just gotten back home from his six year prison sentence. The reasoning behind the sentence? A hit and run.

The hit and run however, wasn't Ace's doing. His car had been borrowed by someone he used to consider a close friend. This said friend asked to take Ace's car to "run a few errands" since his car was still in the shop being repaired. Little did Ace know, the few "errands" that his friend had to run included him hitting and killing a seventeen year old boy, fleeing the scene right after doing so.

A witness just so happened to catch a picture of the vehicle's license plate as he was fleeing. The vehicle was traced back to Ace since the car was in his name. Apparently, that was more than enough evidence to throw Ace behind bars for six years. This so called friend of his framed him and not once did he even think about going to visit him. From that point on, Ace knew that he couldn't be too friendly with anyone. He couldn't really trust too many people anymore.

The time was now 2:55am and everyone was getting their things together to leave. Ace waited and said his goodbyes to everyone who had shown their faces at the party. He let about another ten minutes pass by, finishing up the blunt he had rolled for himself earlier, before hopping in his car and driving away from his home.

He drove slowly down a small block located in Detroit, Michigan. Observing. That's what he was doing. As his light brown, not so caramel colored eyes skimmed across the block, they came across a figure. A male figure to be exact. To him, the guy looked to be in his late twenties. Maybe even his early thirties. The guy's age didn't really matter to Ace though. He took a deep breath before doing what he did next.

Slowly, Ace eased his foot down onto the gas pedal of his car. The car, which now had a fake license plate on it, accelerated its speed. And because Ace timed it so perfectly, the car hit the middle aged man as soon as he had gotten to the middle of the street, killing him instantly.

You see, Ace has a very erratic way of thinking. And his thought process is exactly what lead up to this specific moment.

He looked at his entire jail situation like he had something to prove to people from it. However, it was the wrong kind of "something to prove." In his mind, since the police had arrested him for doing some shit he didn't do, he figured that going out and actually doing the crime they'd wrongfully accused him of doing would prove to them that if he had done it the first time, he wouldn't have been too sloppy with it. He wouldn't have gotten caught because he was smart enough to cover up any traces that lead back to him.

And that's exactly what he did, hence the fake license plate on his all black, ninety-nine percent tinted challenger.

He had also called up one of his good friends, Caprice "Capo" Hunter. One of the very few people he knew for sure he could actually trust and the same person who threw the welcome home party for him. Ace dialed Capo's phone up to ask him for a little clean up service.

"You just got out and you already on that bullshit yo." Capo spoke through the phone with a light laugh. Ace had just gotten back in the house and he decided to pour himself a glass of Red Rum. Taking a sip from the glass, he says to his longtime friend, "Trust me, this is only the beginning."