Chapter Ninety-One

Start from the beginning

        Clay returned from the bathroom looking much less tense. He grabbed his backpack and sat down at the kitchen counter, unzipping compartments.

        "Can I see the ring again?" I asked eagerly.

        He grinned and handed me a black leather box. I flicked it open and smiled. The ring was perfect. Gold, with a little gap in the band between the opal stones that were carved into tiny ovals. Kylie would love it.

        "Clay, she's going to think it's perfect," I said, handing him back the box.

        "Yeah," he said confidently. "Took me forever to design it."

        That surprised me. "You designed it yourself?" I asked, my eyes watering. She really did have the best boyfriend in the world.

        "Yeah. One day she was all excited about this set of rings that she bought, and she was showing them to me in the cutest way. I just took note of what she liked about them and then added the opals," he said with a shrug, as if he designed engagement rings for the love of his life every day.

        "That's so sweet," I said, flicking the happy tears out of my eyes. "How are you going to ask her?"

        "I have a cozy night in planned," Clay explained. "Matching sweatpants and hoodies, sugar cookies, a pizza, stuff like that. I've ordered flowers, too. I still have to set up the balloons and streamers. I'll ask her sometime before we go to bed."

        Gosh dang it, when was it my turn? Oh, right. I blew my turn. Anyway, Kylie was a very lucky girl. "She's going to love it."

        "Think she'll say yes?" he asked, the flicker of worry crossing his face again.

        "Of course she will," I said encouragingly. "And if she doesn't I might have to kill her myself."

        He laughed, hiding the box again. "Anyways, Kylie doesn't get out of work until three in the morning. I'm guessing you need to go home and sleep so you can go to work tomorrow."

        "Yeah. Let me know if you need anything else for your surprise," I said, quickly hugging him. 

        The next morning, which was Valentine's Day, Nina and I met for breakfast. Between the three of us, whichever two friends were single on Valentine's Day always met to have breakfast together. It was a fun way to celebrate our friendship, but it was also a great way to debate about the third friend who was absent.

        "Awww," Nina said once I'd told her about Clay's plan. "That's so romantic, that he's keeping it so small and sweet."

        "Right? It's so beautiful," I sighed, taking a sip of coffee. 

        She frowned. "Don't you have to work today?"

        "I don't have to leave for a half hour," I said casually.

        Nina's phone vibrated and she checked it. "Aw, she posted pictures," she said, showing me the screen. I grinned at the adorable shot of Clay kissing Kylie's cheek.

        "Wow, those flowers must've cost a fortune," Nina remarked, looking at the massive bundle of roses that was larger than a microwave.

        I shrugged. "That's what it's like when you're dating someone that rich."

        "Yeah, you would know. Did he send you any gifts?" she asked.

        "No, and he won't be," I said, swirling my coffee with the straw. "We're not in contact anymore."

        "Really?" She was surprised. "I figured he'd at least send flowers, or maybe a love note."

        "Nope, no notes." No notes ever. I wasn't expecting anything from Grayson today, since we'd clearly parted ways.

        Trying to change the subject, I asked, "What about you? Any secret admirers sending you notes?"

        "Nope, but today should be a fun day at the bookstore," Nina said cheerfully. "I love when all the boyfriends come in and go shopping with their girlfriends. It's so cute. Plus I'm doing a special display for the romance section."

        I loved her attitude about Valentine's Day. Most girls would've been disappointed to be single on the most romantic day of the year, but Nina was happy to just observe everyone else being in love. Plus I was certain she had a whole army of fictional boyfriends in all the books she owned. 

         Suddenly she reached over and grabbed my hand. "Promise that you'll answer if he calls or texts?" she pleaded.

        I was almost certain he wouldn't, so I nodded and said, "Promise."

        "Good. I just hate seeing you so upset," she mused, pulling out the mom card.

        "It's fine, Nina," I assured her. "I'm happy. It's better being away from him than being with him and not knowing what we are."

        "But why can't you just talk about it?" she pleaded. "You could define what you guys are. You could talk about it and actually get to be together. Instead you're stuck hurting and I can guarantee that he's feeling the same way."

        "He's not," I said quietly. "He might say he's in love, but now that I'm gone, I'm sure he's just adjusting back to normal."

        "Jackie, not everyone gets this chance. Most people who break up, they don't get to make it up. They don't get to talk about it calmly and figure out what they're actually feeling," she said, chewing her lip. "You're one of the lucky ones. Grayson is a really amazing, sweet guy. You should fight for him."

        "Yeah," I said absentmindedly, not really agreeing. 

        Maybe Grayson was worth it, but I was all out of fight. I was tired. I just wanted to lie down and forget. I wanted to go back to Vegas, where I didn't remember anything and I could just walk away from the stranger lying next to me. But I couldn't walk away from any of it now, not the memories, not the history, not the past year that I'd spent giving myself to him. Showing himself my worst side, showing him who I truly was.

        I couldn't keep fighting.