Chapter Seventy-Five

"Clay, I need you to earn us a few minutes," Grayson pleaded.

        Clay's smirk was larger than Alaska. "A few minutes, huh?"

        "Not that, you ding-dong," his brother said, rolling his eyes. "Just away from mom. Can you do that?"

        "I'll see what I can get. Make your escape, my little lovebirds," Clay whispered, spreading his hands mystically through the air. 

        Grayson shook his head and pulled me along, apparently on a mission. Down the hall, there was a mass of people milling about. I could hear them talking and chattering, although I didn't want to know what they were saying. I didn't want to hear what awful things they had to say about me.

        "In here," Grayson said quietly, opening a small door. I stepped inside, realizing that this was indeed a broom closet. No lights, no space, and no room for hiding anything. My heart rate skyrocketed; what was he doing?

        He shut the door behind him, pulling me into a tight hug. That's when it all fell apart. The emotions, the anxiety, the wall I'd put up, it all crashed down. I trembled in his arms, bowing my head against his shoulder as I slowly exhaled.

        "Hi," he whispered.

        "Hi," I said, a crack in my voice.

        "How are you doing?" he murmured, rubbing slow circles on my back.

        "I'm okay," I said, muffled by his jacket. "How are you?"

        "I'm good. You're feeling okay?" Grayson, as always, was concerned about my health.

        I smiled slightly. "I'm really okay. I liked your vows, by the way."

        "You did?" he asked, the smile audible in his voice. 

        "Yeah. They almost sounded real," I said, closing my eyes. This hug could last forever and I wouldn't have minded. "You did a good job."

        Grayson paused half a beat. "Yeah. Almost. Thanks."

        "I'm not ready to go back out there," I murmured, clinging to him.

        "I know, Jacks," he said softly, kissing the side of my head. "I'm not either, but Clay can only buy us so much time. Besides, it'll be fun. It's the party of a lifetime for you."

        "Yeah..." I wasn't very convinced. Or excited.

        He lowered his voice and said, "Plus, once we get through it, we get to run away. Go to a warm, tropical beach. Take possibly the longest nap in the history of naps. Lie in the sun and do absolutely nothing."

        "Oh my gosh, it sounds so amazing," I said breathlessly, soaking in the heavenly truth of his words.

        "We just have to get through one small party," Grayson reminded me. When he said it, it really did sound like a small inconvenience.

        "One small party," I repeated, hoping if I said it I would actually believe it. 

        "That's my girl," he said, hugging me hard again before pushing open the door. We stepped into the empty hallway, delighted to find the coast clear. I let him lead me to the other room, where I could already hear soft classical music playing over the noise of hundreds of people talking.

        "You're ready to do this?" Grayson asked quietly.

        I smiled. "Ready," I said, knowing that this was as ready as I would ever get.