Prologue: Strange Form of Employment

JUNE 18 2013, Louisville, Kentucky

"Name?"

"Malik," I say simply low-key caught off guard by the interviewer. She was a pretty brown-skinned girl with a round face, round lips, and big doe eyes. You could tell she had on a wig, not because it looked terrible, but because black people don't have wet and wavy hair texture. At least not any that I know.

She had on a business casual outfit. A pretty pink blouse that complimented her skin tone and a black pencil skirt to match. I even noticed the red bottoms that adorned her feet which means she got a bit of change in her pockets.

My type exactly. A woman who can take care of herself. A boss.

"You gotta last?" she asked sarcastically, clicking her fancy silver pen in her left hand.

"Uh, my bad," I chuckled out of embarrassment.

I'm so stupid.

"Malik Taylor," I stated watching as she jot down my name on her clipboard with a template sheet of the interview process.

"Age, Mr Taylor?" Not even looking at me, she asks.

"25." She continues to write down my answers.

"Height?" she finally looks up from her clipboard.

She's so damn fine. It was all that ran through my head as I sat across from her in this small office room. I would fuck the shit outta her.

"Mr Taylor?" She snaps me from my profane train of thought.

"Sorry, I'm 5'10." I spit out, eyes nervously following her pen as she continued to write down my answers.

"You got any criminal history?" I pause. I definitely wasn't ready for that question, but it's one they always ask.

"Uhh," I hesitated to say. "yes ma'am."

"It's okay Malik, you can speak freely here. This is not a standard place of employment,"

"Okay," I nodded.

"What were the charges?" Huh? Why the hell do they need to know all of that? This ain't court.

"Um—"

"Again, Mr Taylor. It's no judgment here. This is not your regular job. If you're curious, we ask that question because we mustn't hire anyone with a history of rape, sexual abuse, etcetera. Especially in this industry." she states, looking me in my eyes which calmed me down more, for I was ready to get up and walk out. Besides, she was so pretty that when she looked me in my eyes, all other thoughts faded away.

"Robbery and two attempts..." I uttered lowly averting my eyes a bit.

"Murder?" I could feel my heart rate increase at the mention of the word.

"Yes ma'am," I spoke honestly looking down at my feet not wanting to see her initial reaction.

Unwavering at my answer, she simply kept her head down and recorded my response. She then looked back up at me giving me a smile that made me tingle in not just my stomach.