What's Gonna Happen

Start from the beginning

That clearly wasn't what she wanted when she texted me asking why I didn't come to her room. Reassuring her was pointless when my key was already in my pocket and I was out the door. Expecting to talk was also pointless when she immediately pulled me into bed to go to sleep once I was at her room. Instead of sleeping, I laid awake wondering what had gone wrong in our relationship. We were still very much in love, but we'd lost the things we had before we admitted that. I couldn't tell you her every move or her favorite things.

While she had planned that wonderful trip for me, what I really wanted was to know what was going on in her head. Was she regretting this? Us? Did she want something different or was there something that I didn't know about? All valid questions that I knew I needed answers to, but a race weekend when our heads needed to be elsewhere wasn't the time or the place to do it.

When Maeve only qualified 4th though, I knew something was wrong. Immediately after press, I rushed to her driver's room to see her. Instead I was met with a slightly flushed Pyrita and my girlfriend hunched over on the couch with a trash can in front of her.

"It's dehydration from the heat. She's also pissed off about qualifying so tread lightly." Pyrita warned me before opening the door farther for me to enter.

Crossing the room in two strides, I was seated next to Maeve immediately.

"Jeepers, since when do you get hit by the heat?" A groan left her lips instead of an answer.

When I tried to wrap an arm over her shoulders, she pushed it off.

"Too hot." She said simply as an explanation, but I still looked at Pyrita with confusion written across my own face.

Pyrita just sighed, used to the BS that came with being a glorified babysitter to her driver. That wasn't enough for me though. Dehydration was a BS answer to what was going on. Race or not, I needed this to stop and soon. I looked at Maeve.

"Do you want to go back to the hotel? We can take a nice cool shower and get some rest." Trying again to get some kind of an answer from Maeve.

All she did was groan again until it turned into a heave and she emptied what was in her stomach. Doing my best to not let it bother me, I grabbed her hair and pulled it away from her face while Pyrita moved around the room looking for a towel and Maeve's water bottle. She handed them to me as I shushed Maeve's groans while gently rubbing her back. The episode lasted all of 15 minutes, but when she came to it was another weird moment.

"That sucked." She spoke, grabbing the towel and her water bottle from my hand.

Flabbergasted, I watched as she wiped her face before emptying her nearly full water bottle. Pyrita scolded her for doing so, knowing it very well could make her puke again. That was the least of my concerns as I watched the color come back into Maeve's face almost immediately. She gave me a lazy smile and sat back on the couch as she stared at me.

"I believe you promised me a shower mister." She winked at me.

"Oh, you think me holding back your hair while you mindlessly throw up your lunch is sexy?" I asked unsatisfied. Only for her to give me a dopey smile and place her hand on my knee.

"It was when we were in Vegas..." I shot Pyrita an apologetic look, unsure of how Maeve suddenly got to this point after groaning and hunched over sick just moments before.

"OK, well why don't we stop talking about that part of our life in front of our coworkers..." She chuckled at my words and I groaned.

"I'll keep my words to myself..." She finally surrendered as she patted my knee.

"Good, Now I am going to go get dressed and I'll let you do the same. Pyrita will look after you and try to figure out whatever that was," I looked at the Finnish woman again with an apologetic smile," See you in a bit?" She nodded with a soft smile.