Close Calls of the Hidden Kind

Daniel

Maeve was a nervous wreck about the fashion show. I had come to see her in that dress again as I had thought to skip it, but even a minute of seeing her in that was worth it. When she walked the runway she just gave this outward feeling of confidence. Everyone was in awe of her and I felt nothing less than adoration as she strutted to the end of the floating runway. You wouldn't even be able to tell that she wasn't used to the shoes. I was upset that Charlotte made me leave for a party immediately after she walked. All I wanted to do was congratulate her on how well she did.

The next time I saw her was when the town car arrived at my building to bring us to the gala. We were attending together and I was under very strict orders to make sure that nothing bad was said to the press, by me or her. I was sure that while she was getting dressed that Angela had given her a run down on how the night would work and how to behave. It was clear they had made sure that not a single hair would be out of place before they sent her over in the car. She also seemed exhausted already from the events of the week and we weren't even at qualifying yet.

"So how miserable am I going to be at this thing?" She asked as the car drove us through the streets of Monaco. We were the only ones in it with the exception of the driver.

"They really aren't that bad. You just have to learn to leave a conversation without being offensive. Plus the food is top notch." She just chuckled as she scrolled around on her phone in her hand.

It gave me a moment to look over her outfit for the night. After her small meltdown with her gala dress, they were kind enough to find something much more suited to her tastes. In my opinion, it was almost more revealing than the other dress though. This dress was an olive green velvet material. It was also floor length, skin tight, and long sleeve. This dress had no cut outs or slits in it and came all the way up as a turtleneck. Did I mention that it was skin tight? Like leave nothing to the imagination skin tight? They had also given her a Tag Heuer watch to wear and a very dainty choker necklace that layered over the neckline of the dress.

"I don't think I can eat in this dress. Surely they couldn't have given me anything more uncomfortable?" I chuckled as she looked back up at me.

"Well you said the other one was too revealing. At least you could wear different shoes with this one." They had let her pick her own shoes since they couldn't be seen under the dress. Just in case, she had picked up a pair of flats so she could walk without an issue.

"I'll still find a way to trip I'm sure." She smoothed down the fabric of the dress in her lap then.

"I got you, no tripping on my watch." I bumped her shoulder with mine, making her look up at me to give an appreciative smile.

We pulled up to the gala then. They had us walk a short red carpet with press before being seated for the meal. Maeve struck up a conversation at the table with one of the sponsor reps she had been strategically placed next to while I ordered us both some red. As instructed, I joined into the conversation. They were talking about the season and how she was enjoying it. Honestly, she did such a good job, you would think she had been schmoozing sponsors for years.

"Mate, grab the chair would you?" I looked to my left and saw Max hobbling over.

"Max? I didn't know you were coming tonight." I smiled and happily stood to help him with the chair. My movement pulled Maeve from her conversation.

"Max!" She stood and engulfed him in a hug before taking her seat back.

"Yeah, I wasn't going to, but Christian asked if I wanted to start talking to the press about my recovery. I thought maybe starting here would be best. At least I can go home and hide if it's too much."